╌>

Bill Maher unloads: 'How come it's okay for the left to hate the Jews?'

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  vic-eldred  •  4 months ago  •  62 comments

By:   Story by Joseph Wulfsohn

"I got a question. How come it's okay for the left to hate the Jews?" Maher asked on Friday night. "Because, obviously, if this was the people at Charlottesville doing this, wouldn't there be a bigger outcry?"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

"Real Time" host  Bill Maher  put a spotlight on the lack of condemnation of the growing antisemitism that has erupted on the left in comparison to the country's response to the infamous 2017 white supremacist rally in Charlottesville. 

"I got a question. How come it's okay for the left to hate the Jews?" Maher asked on Friday night. "Because, obviously, if this was the people at Charlottesville doing this, wouldn't there be a bigger outcry?

CNN contributor Ana Navarro responded by saying it's not an "apples to apples" comparison, saying that the "images" of dead children in Gaza are a major factor in the left's activism. But writer Joel Stein insisted the college students currently protesting have "more power" than the "tiki torch IT guys" that were marching in Charlottesville.

"If the people in Charlottesville who were chanting ‘Jews won't replace us,’ I mean, that's bad. It's not as bad as ‘Death to.' That's not deplorable?" Maher exclaimed.

"It's absolutely terrible," Navarro responded. 

"Okay, well, if one side is deplorables and the other side does something that's- I mean, if I was a Holocaust survivor, and I guess there's not many of those left, but if I was, I would choose ‘Jews will not replace us’ over 'Death to Zionists," Maher said. 

"There's no condemnation like there was with Charlottesville," he later added.  

There were several antisemitic incidents that occurred in recent days. Last Saturday, violent anti-Israel protests took place outside the White House where a  Hamas headband-wearing agitator  held up a bloodied mask of President Biden's face.

On Monday,  protesters chanted "Long live the intifada"  outside a Nova Music Festival Exhibition in New York City memorializing the victims of Hamas' Oct. 7 attack.

On Wednesday, the home of Jewish officials with the Brooklyn Museum  was vandalized with red paint  and a banner hanged reading "white-supremacist Zionist."

Also this week, a video of anti-Israel protesters swarming a New York City car went viral showing them chanting "Raise your hand if you're a Zionist. This is your chance to get out."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    4 months ago

Great question from an old fashioned liberal.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    4 months ago

And one that the "new Liberals" will cry about and tap dance around instead of answering.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1    4 months ago

They are great dancers.

Yesterday they told us the Biden videos were edited!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    4 months ago

So far all the editing is being done by the democrats.  Official transcripts, evidence...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    4 months ago

Fuck Maher.  What the fuck kind of question is that?

Liberals do not hate jews.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @2    4 months ago
Liberals do not hate jews.

Of course not, go on any college campus and you can see and feel the love.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    4 months ago

'real time host bill maher puts a spotlight on the lack of condemnation of the growing antisemitism that has erupted on the left in comparison to the country's response to the infamous 2017 white supremacist rally in Charlottesville'

what 'growing antisemitism' that has erupted on the left?

What do the hater rwnjs/white supremacists (same thing) have to do with today's protests?

Again Fuck Maher - he's no longer a liberal as far as I'm concerned.  What an asshole and dickhead

GregTx
Professor Guide
3.1  GregTx  replied to  Tessylo @3    4 months ago

He's certainly no Colbert or Stewart.....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @3.1    4 months ago

Those two never stray too far away from the Democratic plantation.

Besides, where else will some liberals get their news and talking points?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  GregTx @3.1    4 months ago

I look up to Stephen and Jon - I respect them - they're truthful and honest and don't lie and smear and defame liberals - again fuck him.

Again, fuck him.

He can't hold a candle to those decent and honorable and much loved men.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    4 months ago

“Since Oct 7, the ADL has tracked a surge in antisemitic incidents on college and university campuses. In addition, 73% of Jewish college students surveyed have experienced or witnessed some form of antisemitism since the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year alone. A plurality of Jewish college students reported that they do not feel physically safe on campus after October 7th, and even fewer feel emotionally safe.”

https://notoleranceforantisemitism.adl.org

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.3    4 months ago

Interesting facts.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    4 months ago

I see no one has provided any proof of liberal antisemitism ANYWHERE

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.5    4 months ago

Anti-Semitism on the right and the left threatens to bring to a close an unprecedented period of safety and prosperity for Jewish Americans—and demolish the liberal order they helped establish.

By Franklin Foerhttps://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2024/04/us-anti-semitism-jewish-american-safety/677469/

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.7  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.5    4 months ago

It's not white nationalists that's doing all the hating, vandalism, destruction, and protesting against the Jews.

It's your beloved lefties that's doing it all.  

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.8  MonsterMash  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    4 months ago
I look up to Stephen and Jon - I respect them - they're truthful and honest.

jrSmiley_50_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.5    4 months ago

Just open your eyes and see.    It’s easy if you try …..

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.10  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.5    4 months ago

It is everywhere for anyone with open eyes

Thomas
Masters Guide
3.1.11  Thomas  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.3    4 months ago

Do they track anti-Muslim/Palestinian/Arab incidents at the Anti-Defamation League?

GregTx
Professor Guide
3.1.12  GregTx  replied to  Thomas @3.1.11    4 months ago

Hmmm, are there alot of "anti-Muslim/Palestinian/Arab" protests going on right now?..

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  GregTx @3.1.12    4 months ago

No answer forthcoming because there is none.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thomas @3.1.11    4 months ago

“In response to an intensified level of anti-Muslim bigotry and conspiracy theories about the infiltration of Sharia law, ADL exposes campaigns aimed at marginalizing Muslims and defends Muslims' religious freedom rights in the courts and state legislatures.

ADL convenes the national Interfaith Coalition on Mosques (ICOM), comprised of prominent individuals and organizations from different faith traditions, to assist Muslim communities who are confronting opposition to the legal building, expansion or relocation of their mosques.”

https://www.adl.org/about/mission-and-history

Thomas
Masters Guide
3.1.15  Thomas  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.14    4 months ago

Thank you. 

Thomas
Masters Guide
3.1.16  Thomas  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.14    4 months ago

From

Identity-based harassment

Identity-based harassment refers to harassment based on membership in a marginalized group. Transgender people were most likely to be harassed in the past 12 months for their gender identity, LGBQT+ people for their physical appearance, Black/African American and Asian Americans for their race/ethnicity, and Muslims for their religion.

So, according to this (unweighted) data, Muslim people are more likely than Jewish people to be harrassed. Apparently, there are a whole slew of (self-reporting) people who get hated-on more than Jewish people. Right now, by far the most reputable reportage making it to my ears is strictly about anti-Semitic violence. 
Why is this?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.1.17  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thomas @3.1.16    4 months ago

“In its annual report released Monday, the FBI estimated that hate crimes increased by 7% to 11,634 cases in 2022 compared to the previous year. With 1,124 incidents, anti-Jewish attacks were the second most reported hate crime, after anti-Black cases. There were 158 reported incidents of anti-Muslim attacks, and 92 reports of anti-Arab cases, according to the report.”

https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestine-muslim-jewish-hate-crimes-3528a67cdf4e6799355be0da9a3c0634

Thomas
Masters Guide
3.1.18  Thomas  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.17    4 months ago

Well, the study that I was referencing was done this year, not 2022. From the survey:

ADL conducts this nationally representative survey annually to find out how many American adults experience hate or harassment on social media. Since 2022, we have also surveyed teens ages 13-17. This survey was conducted in February and March 2024 and asked about the preceding 12 months. 

I realize that this is a survey about online behavior and not violent actions. What I was getting at was the seeming disparity between reality (What's That?!) and the reporting on reality. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    4 months ago

They do however criticize Democrats and President Biden all the time but you cannot tell me that liberals hate jews - that's so damned inflammatory and inciting.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.20  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.9    4 months ago

Yes follow your own advice oh wise sage one.  jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.20    4 months ago

See 3.1.9   Lather, rinse and repeat as necessary

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.22  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.19    4 months ago
that's so damned inflammatory and inciting.  

Yes it is.  Maybe the liberals that are doing it should stop.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @3    4 months ago

Two Ivy League presidents, resigned from their positions after they couldn’t give a straight answer on whether advocating genocide of Jews violates their university’s code of conduct.  Tough question?

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
3.2.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2    4 months ago
Two Ivy League presidents, resigned from their positions after they couldn’t give a straight answer on whether advocating genocide of Jews violates their university’s code of conduct.  Tough question?

I watched that in disbelief , as i shook my head, not all night long, but seemed like daze

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.3  arkpdx  replied to  Tessylo @3    4 months ago
what 'growing antisemitism' that has erupted on the left?

[] he's no longer a liberal as far as I'm concerned.

I am sure that is going to keep him up at night.

CB
Professor Principal
4  CB    4 months ago

I don't agree with the killing of civilians anywhere unnecessarily. I have been very clear on that. And if I have not y'all can ask me to repeat myself! I don't wish ill on any individual or group of individuals in this situation: Exception: HAMAS. (No elaboration is needed.)

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @4    4 months ago
I don't agree with the killing of civilians anywhere unnecessarily.

Good to know, thanks.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1    4 months ago

You're welcome. :)

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
4.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @4.1.1    4 months ago

It’s important to know who doesn’t agree with the killing of civilians anywhere unnecessarily and who does.  Thanks for taking a stand.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.3  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.2    4 months ago

You're welcome.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4    4 months ago

Asking?

That is usually met with "I don't answer"

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.1  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2    4 months ago

You must be bored. Try this, see if it fits: Happy Father's Day!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  CB @4.2.1    4 months ago

I do get rather bored with reflections and platitudes.

Thanks for noticing?

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.3  CB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.2    4 months ago

You're welcome.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    4 months ago

Its something to look back at Charlottesville and the wall to wall coverage that generated. It supposedly inspired Biden to run.  Now they take place on every campus and the media and biden  does its very best to ignore it because its  their side leading the protesters. 

Hallux
Professor Principal
6  Hallux    4 months ago

Now that Bill has his solar hooked up maybe he can free the bees in his bonnet.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7  Texan1211    4 months ago

Bill is now a pariah to leftwing zealots who just a few months ago were depending on him for news.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    4 months ago

You've got to hand it to Hamas, or maybe to their Iranian masters who trained them, to have known that their Oct 7 massacre would provoke the retaliation from Israel that was bound to demonize Israel because Hamas hides among the civilians, uses them as human shields, hides themselves, their headquarters and weapons in hospitals, schools, UN facilities (obviously the antisemitic UN cooperates with and assists Hamas), residential homes and among and under refugee camps, making the loss of civilians inevitable, but Hamas is not blamed for that, Israel is blamed for murdering children and women and elderly using inflated numbers in order to win the war of public opinion against Israel, and the rest of the naive and ignorant world is eating it up, protesting in favour of the terrorists.  Makes the expression "Stop the world, I want to get off" a reality. 

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
8.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    4 months ago

i don't claim to be well versed on this contoversary, but, i cannot help but hold Netanyahu responsible, for trumping his country by wagging the dawg, a dawg willingly installed , to portray the Terrorists, as the innosent victims sentenced to death to put the projection where it can accomplish the most, cause allowing terrorists to hide amongst those who are innocent, is of one of the lowest , yet highest in cowardice, any individual could ever commit, imho 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Igknorantzruls @8.1    4 months ago

I'm sorry, Ig, but I'm unable to understand the poiint you're trying to make - you seem to equalize the blame on both.

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
8.1.2  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.1    4 months ago

I find them both to blame, for the killing of in know sense.

Cause in No Sense does it make for the October attack, except to create sympathizers for a cause i truly admit to not fully comprehending. 

And Netanyahu, like our Trump, is using real politics, the politics of War no less, to keep him from any time soon answering to his alleged criminal actions. War is suppose to be a great unifier, as it certainly should be, yet we have the GOP here defending Putins Russia while attacking any and everything our current POTUS does, irregardless if they benefit or knot, as they tie it to a polcy enacted when Obama was elected. Israeli has become a voting issue this year. Gaza Terorists deserve to be hunted down and killed, innocent civilians don't deserve to be caught in the middle, so I will blame the Terrorists, and I will blame  Netanyahu as well. Only a coward would put War above their own political power and survival, so the two nations both share a terrible commonality. 

Thomas
Masters Guide
9  Thomas    4 months ago

Once again we see the marks of a propaganda piece blaring out at us from the title. He didn't just say the words he "Unloads" them. This is an example leading the reader with emotion. As for the quote, it conflates "the left" not only as a singular entity, but makes the further accusation against the speciously defined left as hating the Jews. Both of these conflations are demonstrably false and we haven't even gotten beyond the headline yet.... 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Thomas @9    4 months ago

Jew-hatred is not limited to specific political sides, it's just that it's more openly expressed by a lot more adherents of one of them.

What is happening in the world is why the refuge of a Jewish State was an absolute necessity in the past, and because what might have been more openly exercised by the Nazis in the past has now become more universally expressed lin the present, is what makes the existence and security of Israel as a Jewish State now more a necessity than ever before. 

Thomas
Masters Guide
9.1.1  Thomas  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1    4 months ago
Jew-hatred is not limited to specific political sides, it's just that it's more openly expressed by a lot more adherents of one of them.

I would contend that the word "hatred" is much overused in these instances due to its severity and the baggage that the word conjures. You feel hate viscerally, and that is why FOX news used the sentence in the headline, to make the reader or the listener feel the power of hatred. That is why they did it: To put the left (whomever that means) on the defensive from the get go. That is, if the readers does not realize that they are being played. 

...what might have been more openly exercised by the Nazis in the past has now become more universally expressed in the present...

I am not certain that it is more universally expressed. Certainly it is more present, but not universally so. I think that certain people with a vested interest in the sowing of disunity are amplifying the actions of some players while not allowing for an organic difference of opinion over the whole spread of humanity. They are trying to reduce a vast and complicated subject down to the false dichotomy of Jewish/Zionist = Good, vs. Jews = Bad, and it is not that simple. You can see that it is a false dichotomy when presented like above, but some may fail to make the distinction and dive in to do battle from both sides, not realizing that the piece was intended to sow division. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Thomas @9.1.1    4 months ago

You feel hate viscerally, and that is why FOX news used the sentence in the headline

they used it because they were quoting bill maher accurately.

Kudos on turning a bill maher quote into an excuse to bash Fox News. That’s some exceptional deflection 

Thomas
Masters Guide
9.1.3  Thomas  replied to  Sean Treacy @9.1.2    4 months ago

they used it because they were quoting bill maher accurately.

They were lying with the truth. IMO, my conjecture is far superior to your conjecture. I can tell when I am being lied to. Can you?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Thomas @9.1.3    4 months ago

my conjecture is far superior to your conjec

My “ conjecture ” is literally a statement of fact.  It is not conjecture.  Your conjecture is blaming Fox News for something bill Maher said.  It is asinine. 

I can tell when I am being lied to.

you are blaming a source for accurately reporting a quote.  Correctly Identifying the speaker comes first. 

GregTx
Professor Guide
9.1.5  GregTx  replied to  Thomas @9.1.3    4 months ago
They were lying with the truth. IMO, my conjecture is far superior to your conjecture.

Igknorantzruls
Sophomore Quiet
9.1.6  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Thomas @9.1.1    4 months ago
You can see that it is a false dichotomy when presented like above, but some may fail to make the distinction and dive in to do battle from both sides, not realizing that the piece was intended to sow division. 

An excellent summation that i illustrated while exampling, yet, i might take Umbridge with realizations i never realized were not realized , just because i, never realized them, cause eye sea not when to say when

Thomas
Masters Guide
9.1.7  Thomas  replied to  Sean Treacy @9.1.4    4 months ago

"No" would be the answer. Context is everything.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Thomas @9.1.1    4 months ago
"I would contend that the word "hatred" is much overused in these instances due to its severity and the baggage that the word conjures."

Sorry to have misunderstood.  I should be saying that antisemites just don't love Jews very much instead of the fact that they hate them.  

"I am not certain that it is more universally expressed."

By universally, I didn't mean that every human being is an antisemite, what I meant was that antisemitism is much more openly expressed both verbally and physically all over the world than ever before.  

Thomas
Masters Guide
9.1.9  Thomas  replied to  Sean Treacy @9.1.4    4 months ago

Your conjecture is assuming that since the quote is correctly ascribed, the rest of the article goes unexamined. 

Just because an article contains factual information does not mean the article is telling the truth. The conjecture that I was talking about is the story that we tell ourselves, in this case about the story that the article told us and the way that we put what we learned into use.

I said that it was a propaganda piece and showed the readers why it was such.

You chose to tell of the correctness of the quotations attribution.

While being "correct" in attribution is always commendable, the mere fact of it's correctness does not imply that the article is accurate in the whole.  The article is intended to make one say, "Damn the Left! They (whomever one decides they should be) hate Jews!" I would put it into the category of "Click Bait" and "Propaganda." 

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1.10  JBB  replied to  Thomas @9.1.9    4 months ago

Exactly! Maher was saying that antisemitism is antithetical with liberalism and faulting organizations that tolerate it...

Thomas
Masters Guide
9.1.11  Thomas  replied to  JBB @9.1.10    4 months ago
Exactly! Maher was saying that antisemitism is antithetical with liberalism and faulting organizations that tolerate it...

I think saying, "I am a liberal and I would not endorse antisemitism," would do it.....  Some people are hard to convince.