╌>

Let's talk about DeSantis and a failure to launch ...

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  11 months ago  •  77 comments

By:   Beau of the Fifth Column

Let's talk about DeSantis and a failure to launch ...
Can DeSantis wrestle the nomination from Trump?

Beau offers generally interesting, down-to-Earth commentary on political events.   

So is his analysis on track? 

What should DeSantis do to convince the die-hard Trump supporters to support him instead of Trump?   Can DeSantis wrestle the nomination from Trump?

If he fails to do that, DeSantis must perform exceptionally well with the non-Trump portion of the GOP.   The more GOP candidates, the more difficult that will be for DeSantis.

What is the strategy for a DeSantis win of the nomination?

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    11 months ago

It will be interesting to see how DeSantis approaches the Trump problem.   Offhand, it is not clear to me how he will pull this off.   DeSantis' best bet, it would seem, is for Trump to implode.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1    11 months ago

I think he should bypass Trump until there is a debate. Thus far he has been hitting on Biden.

I think it's interesting that both Trump and the left have in a way joined forces in going right after DeSantis, trying to strangle him in the cradle.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    11 months ago

I agree, DeSantis should continue to attack Brandon.

There is no excuse for what Brandon and Democrats have done to this country.

Brandon is the one all the Republican candidates should be concentrating on taking down. All of them are better options than the Human Fuck Up Machine.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    11 months ago
I think he should bypass Trump until there is a debate.

Why?   He is going to suddenly switch his modus operandi when he finally must face Trump on a stage?   How is that advantageous?   Seems to me that he should be field testing his Trump attacks before unleashing them to an international audience.

I think it's interesting that both Trump and the left have in a way joined forces in going right after DeSantis, trying to strangle him in the cradle.

By 'the left' I expect you are referring to those on your left which would include anyone who would consider voting for someone other than the R nominee.  

D voters (especially D partisans) will attack any R candidate (as will R partisans attack any D candidate).   So no surprise there.

D partisans attacking Trump does not make logical sense since Trump as the nominee almost guarantees a win for the D.   Thus I would submit that those who you consider 'the left' who criticize Trump are doing so from a position of principle rather than partisanship.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.2    11 months ago
By 'the left' I expect you are referring to those on your left which would include anyone who would consider voting for someone other than the R nominee. 

Where do you place the NAACP, Joe Scarborough and Politico?  Suddenly we have the leftist media all using the word "awkward."  You mean a critical thinker like you can't admit that democrats strategy is to have a very besmirched Trump win the GOP nomination?  I think you are able to admit that DeSantis is the only one Trump really fears.

D voters (especially D partisans) will attack any R candidate (as will R partisans attack any D candidate).   So no surprise there.

They are not attacking Trump right now and I want to remind you that in the 2016 GOP primary democrats went out and voted for Trump.

D partisans attacking Trump does not make logical sense since Trump as the nominee almost guarantees a win for the D.

Right!  And defeating his main opponent and the man who can beat Biden is essential. I'm glad we finally agree.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    11 months ago

Yep, the same talking points copy and pasted. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.2    11 months ago
D partisans attacking Trump does not make logical sense

And the expectation is for them to behave logically??

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.4    11 months ago

It is so obvious, I can't help wondering if the American people get it?

They had sympathy for Trump, can they have the same for DeSantis?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.7  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    11 months ago
You mean a critical thinker like you can't admit that democrats strategy is to have a very besmirched Trump win the GOP nomination? 

Your 'critical thinker' jabbing encourages me to be harsh with you.   Go ahead, Vic, keep it up.

And what is this admit crap?   Do you actually read what people write?   I have repeatedly stated in this forum that it is logical for the D party to have Trump win the GOP nomination.    And what do you think I meant when I wrote?:

TiG @1.1.3 ☞ D partisans attacking Trump does not make logical sense since Trump as the nominee almost guarantees a win for the D.

That means that it is counterproductive for D partisans to attack Trump and cause him to NOT win the GOP nomination.   Trump has already besmirched himself in a grand fashion ... no need to add to that.

I think you are able to admit that DeSantis is the only one Trump really fears.

Again with this 'admit' crap?   I have nothing to admit.   I would have no problem stating that if that was my conclusion.   It is certainly logical that Trump is DeSantis' main concern since Trump is dominating the polls right now.   Trump is definitely the biggest barrier to the nomination for DeSantis.  But that is beyond obvious to most people.   I do not know if DeSantis fears Trump, but unless he is an idiot, he recognizes him as his strongest opponent.

They are not attacking Trump right now and I want to remind you that in the 2016 GOP primary democrats went out and voted for Trump.

You seem to be all over the map.   There are Ds attacking Trump on a daily basis.   And there are Ds who recognize that it is in their best interest for Trump to be the GOP nominee.   The partisan Ds should be doing their best to ensure Trump's nomination while ensuring he remains unelectable.    

Right!  And defeating his main opponent and the man who can beat Biden is essential. I'm glad we finally agree.

I have been stating for years that Trump as the nominee almost guarantees a win for the D.    Good grief may, pay attention.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.8  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.5    11 months ago
And the expectation is for them to behave logically??

No, I offered no expectation.   My post (if one reads the other sentences) was an analytical response to Vic's question.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.9  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.6    11 months ago
It is so obvious, I can't help wondering if the American people get it?

What is the 'it' that is so obvious?

It certainly is obvious that the D party should want Trump to win the GOP nomination.   Is that the 'it' of which you refer?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.5    11 months ago
And the expectation is for them to behave logically?

Does anyone honestly think they would act logically?

Whoo Boy, that's a good one!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.9    11 months ago

The immediate attack on DeSantis is the "it" to which I refer or do you think it was just a coincidence that the NAACP made that disgusting travel warning just days before DeSantis officially entered the race?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.12  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.11    11 months ago

Does it surprise you that the Ds would attack DeSantis??

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.12    11 months ago
Does it surprise you that the Ds would attack DeSantis??

I don't think anyone is surprised when the Ds attack anyone anymore.

More like par for the course, and one shouldn't be surprised by events which occur daily.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.14  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.13    11 months ago
I don't think anyone is surprised when the Ds attack anyone anymore.

Nobody should be surprised by one party attacking candidates of the other party.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.14    11 months ago
Nobody should be surprised by one party attacking candidates of the other party.

Well, I am certainly not, but then again, I didn't have to ask anyone else to come to that conclusion.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.16  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.15    11 months ago

Did you not follow along to see what Vic wrote?  

Vic noted that DeSantis was immediately attacked by the Ds (as if that was not to be expected).   What a surprise, right, that the Ds would attack a potential R nominee (or that the Rs would attack a potential D nominee)?       256

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.16    11 months ago
Did you not follow along to see what Vic wrote?  

Well, I sure did!

How does that effect my post?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.12    11 months ago

I predicted it.

Whatever you do, don't answer my question.

Does it surprise you that Trump and the Ds are working for the same goal?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.19  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.17    11 months ago

Did you notice that TiG wouldn't answer my question? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.19    11 months ago

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.21  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.20    11 months ago

[Deleted]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.22  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.18    11 months ago
Does it surprise you that Trump and the Ds are working for the same goal?

You do not see that I answered your question in detail @1.1.7?

No, Vic, it does not surprise me in the least that the Ds are attacking DeSantis and that Trump is attacking DeSantis.

Who would be surprised by that?:

1. DeSantis is a competitor for Trump who seeks the GOP nomination
  2. DeSantis is a potential competitor for the D nominee.

Do you recognize my answer now?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.23  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.19    11 months ago
Did you notice that TiG wouldn't answer my question? 

What on Earth are you talking about?   This is a slimy game you are playing.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.24  afrayedknot  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.2    11 months ago

“…who criticize Trump are doing so from a position of principle rather than partisanship.”

A sad statement that goes to the crux of our current collective malaise…principles are not even a tertiary consideration as partisanship and electability and dogma supersede reason.

We will eventually get we deserve in our myopia. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.25  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.22    11 months ago
Do you recognize my answer now?

No.

Again: do you think it was just a coincidence that the NAACP made that disgusting travel warning just days before DeSantis officially entered the race?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.26  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.23    11 months ago

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.25    11 months ago
Again: do you think it was just a coincidence that the NAACP made that disgusting travel warning just days before DeSantis officially entered the race?

The NAACP is just shilling for the Democratic Party now. I think it has been for decades now.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.28  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.25    11 months ago
Do you think it was just a coincidence that the NAACP made that disgusting travel warning just days before DeSantis officially entered the race?

If so, it would be a remarkable coincidence.  

But you should realize this from what I wrote.   I told you in clear terms that it is to be expected that Ds will attack R candidates and the Rs will attack D candidates.   So if the NAACP warning was not a coincidence it is not hard to believe it was deliberate.

Obviously.  

So what is your grand point?    Other than illustrating the obvious, what insight have you offered?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.29  Vic Eldred  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.28    11 months ago
So what is your grand point? 

See Post # 4.

I have to go. Have a good one TiG.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.30  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.29    11 months ago
See Post # 4.

Your grand point is made by Nerm (well after your comments were posted)?

Looks like you had no point since you refuse to simply state it.    Lame deflection.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.31  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.7    11 months ago

[Deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.32  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.6    11 months ago
They had sympathy for Trump, can they have the same for DeSantis?

face it, the guy has the personality of a house plant.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2  Kavika   replied to  TᵢG @1    11 months ago

I don't think that he can beat Trump. DeSantis is Trump without any personality.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.1  JBB  replied to  Kavika @1.2    11 months ago

original

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Kavika @1.2    11 months ago

DeSantis is a better human being than Trump ... albeit that is a very low bar to beat.   Unfortunately, he does not have anything spectacular that will naturally cause people to vote for him (other than not being Trump).   He needs an inspiring and widely appealing positive vision for our nation.   Without something like that to motivate masses to vote for him, he will likely not overcome the blind, irrational, ignorant loyalty of the MAGA contingent.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.3  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.2    11 months ago
DeSantis is a better human being than Trump

I don't buy it.

He needs an inspiring and widely appealing positive vision for our nation. 

If his vision for the country is the far right wing populism like he's trying to accomplish in FL, then HELL NO!

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.2.4  Thomas  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.2    11 months ago
DeSantis is a better human being than Trump ... albeit that is a very low bar to beat. 

I would say that bar is so low as to be meaningless. We could tell, long before Trump ever declared for the Presidency, that his personal character and motivations were, at the very best, subpar for most humans. He is kind of like Ritchy-Ritch combined with Syndely Whiplash, with the least endearing characteristics of each. DeSantis is a greater unknown, but he has shown a willingness to behave in an anti-democratic way. These people are not Republicans. They take the name, but they do not talk the talk or walk the walk of Republicans, at least the ones who I am familiar with. I would rather be taxed to death than vote for the divisive, reactionary, and cultural cocoa-puffs that call themselves Republicans today. The sickness has spread. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.5  bugsy  replied to  evilone @1.2.3    11 months ago
If his vision for the country is the far right wing populism like he's trying to accomplish in FL, then HELL NO!

You mean like the hundreds of thousands of democrats that came from blue cities/states to get away from the lunacy of their old homes

Are these people now right wing populists?

DeSantis will make America Florida...and that is a good thing

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.6  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1.2    11 months ago

disney has already proved he's fucking goofy, so a sex scandal won't work for wussolini...

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.7  JBB  replied to  evilone @1.2.3    11 months ago

Better person than Trump is a way low bar!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.8  devangelical  replied to  bugsy @1.2.5    11 months ago
You mean like the hundreds of thousands of democrats that came from blue cities/states to get away from the lunacy of their old homes

cool. goodbye red states florida and texas ...

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1    11 months ago
It will be interesting to see how DeSantis approaches the Trump problem.

DeSantis' process so far is to out Trump Trump. But if he's so much like Trump why would Trump supporters not vote for Trump?

"Ron DeSantis is like Trump, drama and all – but without any of the charm,"  Haley's campaign manager Betsy Ankney

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  evilone @1.3    11 months ago
DeSantis' process so far is to out Trump Trump.

I do not see how that is possible.

But if he's so much like Trump why would Trump supporters not vote for Trump?

Well, logically, if he was aligned with Trump's policies then they could get their policies without having such an abysmal, narcissistic, irrational and dangerous character as PotUS.    But I do not view the MAGA contingent as being logical ... they are driven by raw emotion IMO.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3.2  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.1    11 months ago
I do not see how that is possible.

I didn't either, but we are starting to see it now. Another quote from Haley's campaign manager - 

"Leaks, abuse of power, drama, and petty political fights. You'd think these are headlines you might have seen during the Trump administration," Ankney wrote. "Even fierce critics of Donald Trump have noticed that, compared to the Trump campaign, DeSantis is far more disorganized."

But I do not view the MAGA contingent as being logical ... they are driven by raw emotion IMO.

No populist partisans aren't logical, nor do they seem flexible. I don't see too many of them moving on from Trump. So far polling has held this up as true, but now that Trump will be in court in March during the start of the Primary and with other criminal cases pending if they can get the same bullshit platform with DeSantis maybe they will move over. That's won't help the Republicans defeat Biden though. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1    11 months ago
DeSantis' best bet, it would seem, is for Trump to implode.

he's hoping the DOJ or the NY and georgia DA's will do all the heavy lifting...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.4.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @1.4    11 months ago

Probably is.   I am not so sure that anything will break the emotional bond that causes MAGA to vote for Trump.   Probably the best best is for Trump to be so entrenched with legal issues that he withdraws.   Not likely in my estimation because that is simply not how Trump operates, but Trump's withdrawal would give MAGA voters a reason to support the next best thing ... DeSantis.    And if Trump were to endorse DeSantis (LOL) that would be a killer move for DeSantis.

If ... if ... if

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @1.4.1    11 months ago

He could neck deep in shit and still not withdraw. But he will use the trial as a means to attack our legal system.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4.3  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1.4.1    11 months ago

the best bet is for jack smith to nail trump down on some kind of espionage charge. the detailed notes that trump attorney evan corcoran took about the classified documents search, now in possession of the special prosecutor, compared to the video surveillance gaps at mar-a lago may be the smoking gun that's needed for a sizeable defection of government allies. but there will always be a cult of imperial presidency diehards that think trump can do no wrong, even outside the boundaries of any US laws. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4.4  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.2    11 months ago
he will use the trial as a means to attack our legal system.

more importantly to him and his cohorts, to fund raise...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.4.4    11 months ago

forgot about that

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4.6  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.5    11 months ago

it's always about the money to the grifter party...

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.4.7  Thomas  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.2    11 months ago
He could neck deep in shit and still not withdraw.

Would that be headfirst or feet first?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thomas @1.4.7    11 months ago

I prefer head first

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4.9  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.8    11 months ago

but then nobody will notice...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    11 months ago

Beau is always worth a listen. 

I find predictions difficult, because Americans are obviously irrational.

Thomas
Senior Guide
3  Thomas    11 months ago
Beau offers generally interesting, down-to-Earth commentary on political events.    So is his analysis on track? 

Ehh. This is like the launch of Obamacare: Everyone knew it was coming, the IT people behind the scenes went, "Oof! Didn't think about that." and then fixed the problem. That's life. 

I wouldn't vote for DeSantis, ever. He has shown himself to be mean, petty, and vindictive. While that may appeal to some, I personally don't like the lean into repression and the retrenchment of civil liberties that I believe he represents. Political figures, presidents especially, need to be aware of what the people want in an economic and cultural sense and also need to be aware of the limitations placed on them by the CotUS. I do not believe that he is fully cognizant on any of these issues.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Thomas @3    11 months ago

that tiny sausage breath wussolini will shrink to nothing as soon as the heat hits the frying pan.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    11 months ago

So, we're supposed to listen to a fake redneck blame DeSantis for Elon Musk's fuckup?  And the fake redneck is wearing a NASA shirt to make a comparison with a SpaceX launch?

I'm waiting for the 'Dylan Mulvaney for DeSantis' video.  Liberals are so desperate to make sure Biden runs against Trump they'll fake anything.

Hey, bobo dingo fako redneck influencer, your desperation is showing.  Yeah, we know, if Trump doesn't get the Republican nomination then Biden is in the deep, deep do do.  But don't expect Republicans to drink your Bud Light bullshit.

You know, if DeSantis ignores Trump and runs against Democrats' agenda then the primaries won't be about Trump.  And that, my friends, scares the crap out of Democrats.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @4    11 months ago

You do not have to listen.   And you do not need to comment after not listening either since you are ipso facto speaking in ignorance.

Go to another article where you will spend the time to know what was stated.

You know, if DeSantis ignores Trump and runs against Democrats' agenda then the primaries won't be about Trump. 

DeSantis should put forth a positive, inspiring message to counter the Ds.   But he must also find a way to defeat Trump in the primaries.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @4.1    11 months ago
You do not have to listen.   And you do not need to comment after not listening either since you are ipso facto speaking in ignorance. Go to another article where you will spend the time to know what was stated.

No, I didn't have to listen and I didn't have to comment.  No one forced me to do either one.  I chose to do both.

Now the pertinent question is whether or not you think I should be allowed to listen and comment?  

DeSantis should put forth a positive, inspiring message to counter the Ds.   But he must also find a way to defeat Trump in the primaries.

DeSantis will put forth a positive, inspiring message for Republicans.  But that positive, inspiring message won't be Democrat friendly.

DeSantis has already shown how.  What is Trump's position on abortion bans?  What is Trump's position on transgender politics, CRT, woke crap?  DeSantis has been signing laws.  What has Trump done?

DeSantis can hold Trump's feet to the fire just as he can Democrats' feet.  The Republican primaries don't have to be about Trump.  But that's what Democrats will try to do using fake influencers.  You don't think conservatives would turn on Trump the same way they've turned on Bud Light?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @4.1.1    11 months ago
... whether or not you think I should be allowed to listen and comment?  

Of course you are allowed to listen and comment or not.   It would be nice if you actually did know the content of an article before jumping in based on the title alone.   Beau was not blaming DeSantis for Musk's techy failure, he was pointing out the damage this has done at the onset of DeSantis' campaign.   But more importantly, the focus was on how DeSantis would defeat Trump.

DeSantis will put forth a positive, inspiring message for Republicans.

He better, otherwise he likely will lose to Trump.   What will be his positive, inspiring message?

DeSantis can hold Trump's feet to the fire just as he can Democrats' feet. 

Ever notice how Trump supporters wallow in confirmation bias?   You think reasoning will work?   When Trump is indicted, he becomes a martyr with this crowd.   When Trump claims that the PRA allows him to take classified documents that utter bullshit is accepted as truth.   How does DeSantis reason with the unreasonable?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.1.3  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.2    11 months ago
Of course you are allowed to listen and comment or not.   It would be nice if you actually did know the content of an article before jumping in based on the title alone.   Beau was not blaming DeSantis for Musk's techy failure, he was pointing out the damage this has done at the onset of DeSantis' campaign.   But more importantly, the focus was on how DeSantis would defeat Trump.

Well, of course bobo was blaming DeSantis.  Musk's tech didn't work (much like SpaceX tech) which would drive down numbers.  Bobo blames DeSantis for the bad numbers.

Twitter has been a liberal bubble anyway.  Why should we expect DeSantis announcing a Presidential run in a liberal bubble would attract millions of views?  DeSantis getting a half million viewers before the inevitable tech failure seems pretty good for a liberal bubble.

Ever notice how Trump supporters wallow in confirmation bias?   You think reasoning will work?   When Trump is indicted, he becomes a martyr with this crowd.   When Trump claims that the PRA allows him to take classified documents that utter bullshit is accepted as truth.   How does DeSantis reason with the unreasonable?

A Trump indictment is all about Trump.  DeSantis doesn't have to reason with Trump or Trump supporters.  DeSantis has to make it about Democrats.  Ignore Trump, slam Democrats.

DeSantis can bluntly say that Trump opened the door.  Thank you, President Trump.  But now there is work to do before Democrats slam that door shut.  If Republicans don't stop Democrats then Trump's accomplishments will count for nothing.  It's not about Trump; it's about Democrats.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @4.1.3    11 months ago
Well, of course bobo was blaming DeSantis.

No he was not.   He was pointing out the optics.   

DeSantis doesn't have to reason with Trump or Trump supporters. 

Without appealing to a good number of Trump supporters, DeSantis will likely not win the nomination.    If he does not win over Trump supporters then, as I noted, he has to basically suck most votes from the other competitors.   

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.4    11 months ago
No he was not.   He was pointing out the optics.   

Bobo was using the optics to make a point about DeSantis.  And that point was as fake as bobo.

Without appealing to a good number of Trump supporters, DeSantis will likely not win the nomination.    If he does not win over Trump supporters then, as I noted, he has to basically suck most votes from the other competitors.   

Somehow I expect Trump supporters will be giving Democrats a whole lot of attention.  Democrats want the Republican primaries to be about Trump.  But even Trump supporters are primed to make the whole election about Democrats; up, down, and across the ballot.

DeSantis isn't the only candidate challenging Trump.  All it takes is one of those candidates pointing out that Trump attacking Republicans means Democrats win.  And if Democrats win then whatever Trump has accomplished will count for nothing.

The bigger worry for DeSantis is sounding like an establishment Republican.  That's how DeSantis guarantees a loss. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.6  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @4.1.5    11 months ago
Bobo was using the optics to make a point about DeSantis.

Yeah, Nerm, the point was that DeSantis' announcement was a very bad start for his campaign.

All it takes is one of those candidates pointing out that Trump attacking Republicans means Democrats win.

You think it is that simple?     jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

The bigger worry for DeSantis is sounding like an establishment Republican. 

The big problem DeSantis has is Trump supporters.  He needs an inspiring, uplifting message the resonates with them.   That means he needs to support that which Trump supported (easy enough given Trump's policies were core GOP) and then project a confidence that he can get things done.

And even then, I am not convinced that would work.   The MAGA contingent appears to be very emotionally tied to Trump.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    11 months ago

"You know, if DeSantis ignores Trump and runs against Democrats' agenda then the primaries won't be about Trump.  And that, my friends, scares the crap out of Democrats."

Yep, no good can come from getting into insult fights with Trump. De Santis needs to lay it on the corrupt and evil Democrats full bore.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @5    11 months ago

True, DeSantis cannot win by trading insults with or attacking Trump.   He might be able to win by ignoring Trump but only if his high road message is appealing to the MAGA crowd and, critically, the balance of the GOP.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    11 months ago

There are too many people like me who are weary of Trump and his whining and crying. He's only concerned with the past and himself, and he has no plan or vision for the future. Not to mention all the baggage he's carrying and continues to accumulate. If I could go back in time, I would have liked to see Ted Cruz beat Hillary.

DeSantis, on the other hand, has what could be called, a normal life and career path. I expect him to gain strength and popularity as time goes on. Trump is old, tired, and worn out news. And I don't think his unthinking and election denying hard core supporters will have the numbers needed to secure the nomination.

The majority of the citizens of Florida seem to like him. We'll see if that spreads as he becomes better known.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.1    11 months ago
There are too many people like me who are weary of Trump and his whining and crying.

Maybe.   That does not explain his current popularity.

Keep in mind that Trump can win by plurality.   He does not need a majority.   The MAGA contingent appears to be a significant voting bloc given its impact on the balance of the GOP.

Here is something to consider.   If Trump starts winning primaries (which is likely) what will GOP voters do?   Will they start joining the bandwagon as they did in 2016 or will they hold fast and stick with the candidates they truly want?

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.3  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.2    11 months ago

the question being asked among all rwnj politicos lately is if they will pledge to support the GOP POTUS candidate, whomever that may be. wussolini stated today that if he was elected POTUS he would consider pardoning trump and the J6 defendants.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @5.1.3    11 months ago

[deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @5.1.3    11 months ago
wussolini stated today that if he was elected POTUS he would consider pardoning trump and the J6 defendants.

He better win the election first and than spout shit like that. BTW another Oath Keeper was sentenced to 8 1/2 years today. Four more to go and then on to the Proud Boys. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @5.1.5    11 months ago

I agree with you that wussolini is getting way ahead of himself in policy statements.

- and most convicts are surprisingly patriotic... uh oh...

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6  Right Down the Center    11 months ago

[Deleted]

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
7  Right Down the Center    11 months ago

[Deleted]