╌>

Texas pushes church into state with bills on school chaplains, Ten Commandments

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  hallux  •  11 months ago  •  89 comments

By:   Michelle Boorstein - WaPo

Texas pushes church into state with bills on school chaplains, Ten Commandments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

AUSTIN — Texas lawmakers are scheduled to vote Tuesday on whether to require that the Ten Commandments be posted in every classroom in the state, part of a newly energized national effort to   insert religion into public life .

Supporters believe the Supreme Court’s ruling last summer  in favor of a high school football coach who prayed with players essentially removed any guardrails between religion and government.

The bill, which is scheduled Tuesday for the House floor, is one of about a half-dozen religion bills approved this session by the Texas Senate, including one that would allow uncertified chaplains  to replace trained, professional counselors in K-12 schools.

Texas’ biennial legislative session is short, chaotic and packed, and it was not certain Monday whether   the Ten Commandments bill   would definitely get a vote Tuesday. If it doesn’t by midnight, it’s dead for the session. But groups that watch church-state issues say efforts nationwide to fund and empower religion — and, more specifically, a particular type of Christianity — are more plentiful and aggressive than they have been in years. Americans United for Separation of Church and State   says it is watching 1,600 bills around the country in   states such as Louisiana and Missouri. Earlier this year, Idaho and Kentucky signed into law measures that could allow teachers and public school employees to pray in front of and with students while on duty.

Many legislators cite the Supreme Court’s June ruling in favor of Coach Joe Kennedy of Bremerton, Wash., who prayed with his players on the 50-yard-line. They see the Supreme Court as righting the American ship after a half-century of wrongly separating church and state.

“There is absolutely no separation of God and government, and that’s what these bills are about. That has been confused; it’s not real,” said Texas state Sen. Mayes Middleton (R), who co-sponsored or authored three of the religion bills. “When prayer was taken out of schools, things went downhill — discipline, mental health. It’s something I heard a lot on porches when I was campaigning. It’s something I’ve thought about for a long time.”

Those who object to the bills say they reflect a country   that is tipping into a new, dangerous phase in its church-state balance, with people in power who want to assert a version of Christian dominance.

Josh Houston, who has advocated   at the Capitol for progressive and minority religious groups since 2005, said the kinds of bills passing chambers this year would have gone nowhere in the past in Texas. Even though religious expressions in public places in Texas are common, he said, there was an understanding that public employees represent the government and that legally the government shouldn’t impose religion. People have forgotten violent episodes in the United States’ past over religion, he said, such as when dozens of people were killed or injured in the mid-1800s when Catholics and Protestants fought about the use of specific Bibles in public schools.

“We’re entering a new space,” Houston said last week. “We got this right for most of the 20th century, but now people are forgetting the past. We’re at the point now where bills preference one faith over others. You point that out, and there is no interest in negotiation.”

Opponents and ‘accommodators’

Citizens and advocates have signed up to testify by the dozens against the Texas religion bills this session. They have noted that the bills followed a 2021 Texas law that requires school districts to post “In God We Trust” signs in public schools if someone donates them. Thousands of signs have since been donated and hung. The measures have pushed some Texans into activism and others to decide to leave the state.

Zach Freeman, a stay-at-home dad of three in Colleyville, Tex., has gotten at least 300,000 views on two TikToks  he made in the past week against two of the Texas religion bills. He is worried that an organized and well-funded minority of activists on the right are damaging public education.

A sixth-generation Texan, Freeman grew up in a religiously conservative part of the state where prayers were common at public school events. “I don’t have a problem with anyone’s private expression, but Jesus said, ‘Go in a room and pray privately.’ That’s what these bills are, false Christianity, presenting an exterior that doesn’t match the interior. It’s presented as though it’s to include Christians, and what it does is exclude everyone else.”

After 23 years in Texas, Sravan Krishna plans to move his family out of the state before his two young children start school in the fall. A   practicing Hindu who attended Christian schools as a boy, Krishna said the departure will bring a “lot of pain” in the short term. But an accumulation of things — from growing opposition to diversity and anti-racism education, as well as book bans and what he calls “Christian nationalism” — forced his hand, he said.

“In the beginning, I thought: ‘How can a place like this, one of the wealthiest Zip codes in the state, be so backward?’” Krishna said. “I thought: ‘Oh, they’re just misinformed,’ but from there it never changed. There isn’t much of an uproar, and it’s even welcomed, this forcing of a particular religious view.”

Andrew Whitehead, an expert on religious nationalism at the Center for the Study of Religion and American Culture at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, said his research shows that Americans have complex and even contradictory impulses around church-and-state relations.

His research shows that a decreasing percentage of Americans agree with statements such as “being a Christian is very important to being an American” and the government “should declare America a Christian nation.” However, he said, many Americans still identify as Christian, even if nominally.

In the often-cited research Whitehead has done with University of Oklahoma sociologist Sam Perry, they found that when it comes to ranking and measuring Americans’ support for merging Christianity and nationalism, the biggest group is what the men call “accommodators.”

“When they see the Ten Commandments, they think Christianity is a net good in society. They think, ‘Yeah, this country has always been kind of Christian.’ So they mostly stay quiet,” Whitehead said. “They think, ‘These things don’t affect me.’”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    11 months ago

People move to Texas to vote on their knees?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    11 months ago

this effort seems a bit redundant. with a lack of gun laws in texas, kids already have a better chance of meeting geezus just by going to school. /s

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2  cjcold  replied to  Hallux @1    11 months ago

Seems that the wall wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Let's just build it around the North of Texas rather than on the Southern border. 

I'd miss Austin, SXSW and NASA at Huntsville and Houston but it would still be a win/win.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @1.2    11 months ago

[deleted]

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
Professor Guide
1.2.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.2.1    11 months ago

I'll bet that was a GREAT post. 

We are all adults, and I don't think we need someone to decide what should or should not be posted.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    11 months ago

You know they won't be pushing for any version of the 10 Commandments but the Evangelical one. It's obvious to anyone with a working brain cell this is all designed for the takeover by the Christian Nationalists. What about those Texans that don't want to pray in school? Will those kids be forced to pray? Don't they have rights?

Jesus I'm getting sick

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    11 months ago
Jesus I'm getting sick

Y'know how there are some wild-eyed lefties who have a pet piece of legislation they roll out every term to throw raw meat to the rabid base?  Medicare for all, maybe?   90% top tax brackets?  Y'know... shit they know is never going to pass and would be disastrous if it did, but it wins them a few thousand votes among the morons in their district?  

This is just the right wing version of that.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    11 months ago
What about those Texans that don't want to pray in school? Will those kids be forced to pray? D

Do you think it actually possible to force anyone to pray?

Professor Guide
2.3  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    11 months ago

This religious, Backwoods, Talking in Tongues, primitive, HATE-filled FAKE CHRISTIANS.

Jesus wasn't punitive, he didn't demand money, HATE those who had an alternative belief, or actively work to force everyone to conform to their twisted views where they are in charge.

They don't read their Bible or the CONSTITUTION.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @2.3    11 months ago

tell us how you really feel!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    11 months ago

Hear that Californians, New Yorkers, and all of the rest of the leftists fleeing to Texas?

Texas is telling you to get the fuck out!

That is if you still believe the same might mental midgets that you are fleeing from. The ones that push it is OK for LGBTQ+ teachers and school administrations to groom students; CRT; believe that they know better than parents when it comes to educating their children; and tried to have concerned parents labeled terrorists by the DOJ/FBI.

I am sure many Texans will be thrilled to see you go. Please take as many illegal immigrants as your vehicles can hold with you. Don't leave them in the clutches of the evil Greg Abbott!  The sanctuary states/cities you return to will surely thank you.

I don't agree with forcing religion on anyone; but the left's utter hypocrisy is galling.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Ronin2 @3    11 months ago
I don't agree with forcing religion on anyone;

... and you could have left it there without the liturgy. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @3.1    11 months ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Ronin2 @3    11 months ago
Texas is telling you to get the fuck out!

Shouldn't they save that for the money lenders?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @3.2    11 months ago

If all those tax payers leave TX then TX just might have to implement a state income tax. Their high service fees won't cut it

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.2  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.1    11 months ago

Texas property taxes are crazy high...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  JBB @3.2.2    11 months ago

Back in 1991 or so I had to renew the tags for my car...it was $125. I just renewed my tags last week in Arkansas for 30.

TX nickle and dimes people to death for services such as car tags, birth and death certificates, driver's licenses....what happens when all those rich Californians say fuck it and go home? TX will be in a world of hurt unless they can find another revenue stream

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JBB @3.2.2    11 months ago

Have you checked yours and compared them?

And FYI, Texas has no state income tax and therefore the taxes on other things.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.3    11 months ago
Back in 1991 or so I had to renew the tags for my car...it was $125. I just renewed my tags last week in Arkansas for 30.

Ours here are dependent upon the year of the vehicle. Eventually it gets down to around the same except we have to pay the property tax on the vehicle with it, pay for an annual inspection, and insurance proof is a must before you get your tag renewed.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.5    11 months ago

We have personal property taxes that we pay on our vehicles and toys (thanks Bill Clinton!), but we don't have an annual inspection

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.4    11 months ago

Yes, I know they have no state income taxes which is why all their other shit is so damn high

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.6    11 months ago

Our property taxes keep the total for the tag up around the $100 level and the re-registration is only like $35 of that

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.5    11 months ago

My car tags run about $75 per year.

State inspection is $12 a year--I think.

My property taxes are rather high (partly because of what town I live in--it has great services) but not unbearable, and that is after having the appraisal go up by over $60,00 in just two years.

State sales tax plus local tax runs usually around 8.5% depending on locality.

No state income tax is something I love.

In this way, many more people who actually use the services are paying for those services.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.10  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.5    11 months ago

You all are worse than we are. Ours also goes down depending on the age. Brand new have to remember it will be like five hundred. Then it drops way down.

No inspections needed. Only need to show proof of insurance when you buy one if a loan.

My property taxes aren't too bad then again I moved to an unincorporated area several years ago so I am actually county and no city. We have been tried to be annexed several times. They have failed so far.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.11  Ender  replied to  Ender @3.2.10    11 months ago

I forgot, we only have to have a rear tag on the car.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.2.12  charger 383  replied to  Ender @3.2.11    11 months ago

I like that

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.13  Ender  replied to  charger 383 @3.2.12    11 months ago

Me too. I got pulled over one time in another state because they didn't know we didn't have to do that.

Waste of resources to have double as well.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @3.2.11    11 months ago

Same in Arkansas and PA. It is a waste to have have 2 tags

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.15  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @3.2.10    11 months ago
Brand new have to remember it will be like five hundred.

Same here. Then it drops to the mid 200's from there.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3  devangelical  replied to  Ronin2 @3    11 months ago
That is if you still believe the same might mental midgets that you are fleeing from. The ones that push it is OK for LGBTQ+ teachers and school administrations to groom students; CRT; believe that they know better than parents when it comes to educating their children; and tried to have concerned parents labeled terrorists by the DOJ/FBI.

FOX hook, line, sinker, reel, and pole...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @3.3    11 months ago

ssdd - it gives me a headache

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.4  Tacos!  replied to  Ronin2 @3    11 months ago
The ones that push it is OK for LGBTQ+ teachers and school administrations to groom students

Have you ever actually encountered anyone “groomed” in this way? What was the effect? Was a straight kid turned gay? Just want to know what the actual level of concern should be.

On the other hand, I’m pretty sure I could point you to a long list of cases of kids being genuinely groomed and sexually abused in a religious setting. Catholic dioceses have paid out hundreds of millions of dollars to settle such cases. Weirdly, I haven’t seen that nearly as much with public school districts, and I’m not personally aware of it ever being the result of a school being inclusive or supportive of LGBT students and families.

But I have an open mind and await your information.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.5  cjcold  replied to  Ronin2 @3    11 months ago
leftists fleeing to Texas?

Why would any leftist except a Mexican or a Guatemalan flee to Texas?                       

Anthropogenic global warming and the political climate would make that dumb.

George
Junior Expert
3.5.1  George  replied to  cjcold @3.5    11 months ago

[deleted]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.5.2  cjcold  replied to  George @3.5.1    11 months ago

The red states suck on the government tit.                                                   

It's actually the blue states that pay their way.

Do the research.

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.5.3  GregTx  replied to  cjcold @3.5.2    11 months ago
Here are the 10 states with the highest debt per capita:

Massachusetts - $11,047

Connecticut - $10,679

Rhode Island - $8,191

Alaska - $8,079

New York - $7,141

New Jersey - $7,117

Hawaii - $6,737

New Hampshire - $5,517

Vermont - $5,413

Illinois - $4,955

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.5.4  GregTx  replied to  GregTx @3.5.3    11 months ago
States with the Least Debt

1. Texas

Texas has the lowest debt of any state in the U.S. Texas's total liabilities add up to $222.64 billion, and its total assets add up to $356.01 billion, giving Texas the highest net position in the country of $115.08 billion. Texas's debt ratio is 62.5%

2. Florida

Florida's debt is the second-lowest in the country. With total liabilities coming out to $66.78 billion and total assets coming out to $163.24 billion, Florida's net position is $97.6 billion. This means that Florida's debt ratio is 40.9%. While Floridas debt has decreased in recent years, it is expected to increase over the next two years.

3. Alaska

Alaska has the third-lowest debt and the third-highest net position of $76.74 billion. Alaska's total liabilities add up to $12.65 billion, and its total assets add up to $89.17 billion. Although Alaska does not have a state income tax, its revenue is well-supplied by taxes on oil and gas production.

4. North Carolina

North Carolina's net position is $54.41 billion, making it the fourth-highest net position in the U.S. North Carolina's assets are $78.67 billion higher. Its total liabilities are $23.62 billion, giving a debt ratio of 30%.

5. Tennessee

Tennessee has the fifth-lowest debt in the U.S., having $8.04 billion in total liabilities and $46.54 billion in total assets, resulting in a net position of $39.3 billion and a debt ratio of 17.3%. Tennessee is one of the most tax-friendly states in the country and will have no state income tax by 2021. While remaining low-debt and low-tax, Tennessee has managed to triple its Rainy Day Fund and provide tax cuts to its residents, including a 30% decrease in-state sales tax on groceries.

jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

George
Junior Expert
3.5.5  George  replied to  cjcold @3.5.2    11 months ago

You are mistaking federal dollars with welfare. Not all federal dollars are welfare. California gets 1/3 of the welfare dollars and only has 1/6 the population.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.5.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  George @3.5.5    11 months ago

They always do...............it's really quite sad they continue with that misguided narrative...............

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.5.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  GregTx @3.5.4    11 months ago

Debt is part of an large economy producing a big GDP. Here are the states that have the highest GDP:

The ten states with the highest GDP are California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Georgia, New Jersey, and Washington. The state with the highest GDP is California, with a GDP of $ 3.5 trillion. 

And these are the states with the lowest GDP:

The ten states with the lowest GDP are:

1. ​​Vermont – $37 billion
2. Wyoming – $44 billion
3. Alaska – $57 billion
4. Montana – $61 billion
5. South Dakota – $62 billion
6. North Dakota – $66 billion
7. Rhode Island – $68 billion
8. Maine – $79 billion
9. Delaware – $84 billion
10. West Virginia – $91 billion

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.5.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.5.7    11 months ago

CA falls to 5th when adjusted to GDP per capita and Wash DC climbs to 1st.

Is your argument that the higher our debt state/federal the higher our GDP?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.5.9  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @3.5.4    11 months ago

Here is a link to what he posted:

Debt by State 2023 (worldpopulationreview.com)

Texas's debt ratio is 62.5%

New York's debt ratio of 273.8%.

New Jersey's debt ratio is 441.7%. 

Illinois has a debt ratio of 468.7%.

California has a debt ratio of 120.5%.

Florida has a debt ratio of 40.9%.

The four high debt states also are widely recognized to be higher taxing states than Texas or Florida, so it isn't a question of collecting enough, it is a question of spending.

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.5.10  GregTx  replied to  Texan1211 @3.5.9    11 months ago

Thanks. I didn't realize I needed to repost the link from the previous comment. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
3.5.11  GregTx  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.5.7    11 months ago

Yes, no doubt states with higher population produce higher GDP. That's why eight of the ten best in your link rank where they do and the ten lowest. I think it's notable that in the list of the top ten GDP states all of the red states have a lower debt per capita ratio than the blue ones.

PS for the link in 3.5.4 see immediately previous post..

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ronin2 @3    11 months ago

And yet a few years ago, some were gloating that Texas was gaining Electoral College seats.  They only want more people if they're willing to wipe their asses with the Constitution, eh?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.6.1  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6    11 months ago
some were gloating that Texas was gaining Electoral College seats. 

It did indeed gain seats.

They only want more people if they're willing to wipe their asses with the Constitution, eh?

That's ridiculous.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.6.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @3.6.1    11 months ago

Tell Ronin it's ridiculous.  It's the message he claims y'all are sending.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.6.3  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6.2    11 months ago

I see he said nothing of the sort, but I do seem some wild projections!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.6.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @3.6.3    11 months ago

Whereas I see the logical conclusion of his claim.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.6.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6.4    11 months ago

Some people had a hard time with playing connect the dots when they were kids, Sandy

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.6.6  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.6.5    11 months ago

especially when those dots are so close together...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.6.7  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6.4    11 months ago

Then you should be able to quote him saying something near "They only want more people if they're willing to wipe their asses with the Constitution, eh?"

I'll wait.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.6.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @3.6.7    11 months ago

Connect the dots, Texan.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.6.9  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6.8    11 months ago

Sure.

Statement made.

Response claiming the poster said something he didn't  was made.

Post asking for quote for said claim was made.

No quote forthcoming, thus far at least.

I'll keep waiting.

How's that for connecting the dots?

JBB
Professor Principal
3.6.10  JBB  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6.8    11 months ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.6.11  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6.4    11 months ago

I am positive you can see whatever it is you have imagined him claiming.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.6.12  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.6.10    11 months ago

A damn shame you couldn't finish it!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.6.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @3.6.9    11 months ago

Drawing conclusions requires more than regurgitation, Tex.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.6.14  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6.13    11 months ago

I will look forward to that from you.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.6.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @3.6.14    11 months ago

You requested regurgitation, Texan.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.6.16  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6.15    11 months ago

wrong.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.6.17  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @3.6.16    11 months ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.6.18  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6.17    11 months ago

[deleted]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.6.19  sandy-2021492  replied to  Texan1211 @3.6.18    11 months ago

Everybody but you seems to understand.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.6.20  Texan1211  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6.19    11 months ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.6.21  devangelical  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.6.17    11 months ago

oops...

Professor Guide
3.7  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Ronin2 @3    11 months ago

That is a CRUEL, inhumane, self-righteous point of view filled with effusive, hate-spewed BULL CHIPS.

Texas is a STATE, not its own RACIST country still bitter about losing the Civil War.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.7.1  Texan1211  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @3.7    11 months ago
Texas is a STATE, not its own RACIST country still bitter about losing the Civil War.

Exactly!!!

evilone
Professor Guide
4  evilone    11 months ago

It all pretty much this:

It’s presented as though it’s to include Christians, and what it does is exclude everyone else.

And also to make them feel superior to everyone else.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @4    11 months ago

I hate the smugness of these people

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.1  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    11 months ago

Me too. If it's not that they think they know better than everyone else it's they are poor victims and everyone's out to get them. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @4.1.1    11 months ago

I just found a cool meme

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.3  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.2    11 months ago

Good One...

original

Professor Guide
4.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  evilone @4    11 months ago

Yep, nearly every religion, worldwide, does the same.

Gandhi said it best, "I like your JESUS, but not much your Christians!"

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @4.2    11 months ago

Is that the same Gandhi that said, In 1903, that white people in South Africa should be "the predominating race" and that Black people there "are troublesome, very dirty and live like animals"?  Didn't he also  in his late 70s, sleep naked with his grand niece when she was in her late teens?

Professor Guide
4.2.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2.1    11 months ago

Not that I am aware of. That sounds more like RIGHT WING HATE SPEAK!

Where do singers go to have their head

CIRCIMZIDED!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @4.2.2    11 months ago

Yeah, unfortunately, Gandhi was a racist in his younger days. I don't know if when he found enlightenment he changed his views or not

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @4.2.2    11 months ago

In addition to his racist views, Gandhi liked to sleep naked with his naked grandniece when she was in her late teens. Talk about your naked ambition.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2.4    11 months ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    11 months ago

As a religious person, I don’t even want the public school trying to religiously indoctrinate my kids. We have a church. I don’t want another one.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1  devangelical  replied to  Tacos! @5    11 months ago
As a religious person, I don’t even want the public school trying to religiously indoctrinate my kids

I'd say that's probably a pretty big red flag for their particular version of religion in public schools. but hey, at least your kids won't be groomed for any gender deviation or indoctrinated by actual american history that will make them hate our country. do you think they'll be reciting a psalm or a prayer, and before or after the pledge of allegiance?  /s

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6  Gordy327    11 months ago

Just wait until the Satanic Temple lobbies to have their tenets posted next to the Commandments in state areas. The state won't have constitutional authority to refuse. Not to say TX wouldn't try.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6.1  Snuffy  replied to  Gordy327 @6    11 months ago

Yeah, that's where my mind went too.  It wasn't all that long ago that there were law suits to remove religious Christmas displays from city and state owned land.   Then there were law suits to allow any and all faiths to put up their displays.  

But this seems to be more an issue for the First Amendment where the State is attempting to set up a religion as the only acceptable religion.  I'm not a constitutional scholar but it seems to me that any lawsuit against this would win based on the First Amendment.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     11 months ago
including one that would allow uncertified chaplains  to replace trained, professional counselors in K-12 schools.

Brilliant, uncertified chaplains replacing professional counselors. The next school shooting they can offer thoughts and prayers right on the spot.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9  cjcold    11 months ago

Seems that the wall wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Let's just build it around the North of Texas rather than on the Southern border. 

I'd miss Austin, SXSW and NASA at Huntsville but it would still be a win/win.

evilone
Professor Guide
10  evilone    11 months ago

There it is... Killed not because it was dumb in the first place, but because they missed a deadline. Well, maybe next time...

Senate Bill 1515 was effectively killed early Wednesday morning after House lawmakers did not meet a midnight deadline for a vote that would have advanced the bill for a third and final passage.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @10    11 months ago

awww...what a shame

evilone
Professor Guide
10.1.1  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1    11 months ago

They did push through a property tax cut so all's well.

Professor Guide
10.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  evilone @10    11 months ago

Thanks for your post.