╌>

Ron DeSantis’s big idea: Make Florida students ignorant

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  hallux  •  11 months ago  •  98 comments

By:    Jennifer Rubin - WaPo

Ron DeSantis’s big idea: Make Florida students ignorant

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who earned two Ivy League degrees, has apparently decided that making Florida schools and universities the laughingstock of the country is good politics. The Republican already went after public school teachers with his “don’t say gay” bill, championed an effort to prevent instruction about history that might   upset students   (make that   White   students), and banned Advanced Placement classes in African American studies. Now, he has decided to shred the curriculums of Florida’s public universities, inviting students interested in unapproved subjects to go to California (!) or other states that don’t control what can and cannot be taught.

This week, he signed a bill banning state spending on diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in public universities. The Post reported : “These programs often assist colleges in increasing student and faculty diversity, which can apply to race and ethnicity, as well as sexual orientation, religion and socioeconomic status.”

Worse: “The law also forbids public colleges from offering general education courses — which are part of the required curriculum for all college students — that ‘distort significant historical events,’ teach ‘identity politics’ or are ‘based on theories that systemic racism, sexism, oppression, or privilege are inherent in the institutions of the United States and were created to maintain social, political, or economic inequities.’”

Who decides what “distorts”? How can the state prohibit instruction about, say, the consequences of Jim Crow in a U.S. history survey class? Well, that’s up to the regime DeSantis has installed. We now see the full extent of the governor’s authoritarian impulse to control independent sources of information and to eviscerate professional standards that provide the basis for challenging state action and abuse of power.

DeSantis declared, “If you want to do things like gender ideology, go to Berkeley” — or presumably, to some other state system that features quality scholarship about topics that make right - wing purveyors of White male supremacy squeamish.

If newly installed University of Florida president and former Nebraska senator Ben Sasse had an ounce of integrity, he would resign in protest of this wholesale annihilation of academic freedom. ( The Chronicle of Higher Education , however, reported recently that, a month into his tenure, “Sasse has made few public appearances and declined a number of interview requests from local media.” His obsequiousness to his partisan boss and contempt for academic independence should  surprise no one .)

DeSantis is not alone in the assault on academic freedom; he is simply the highest - profile MAGA figure attempting to suppress freedom and dissent. The  American Association of University Professors   recently documented 57 bills in 23 states aimed at undermining academic freedom. The AAUP explained: “The current round of legislation reinforces a right-wing communication effort to attack public colleges and universities on the grounds that they are ideologically outside the mainstream, hostile to conservative views and focused on indoctrinating students into 'woke’ ideology.” The report added: “These bills are only one piece of a broader campaign to remake public higher education that includes Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ hostile takeover of the New College of Florida.”

As with press freedom and democracy more generally, academic freedom is under assault   around the world .   The University World News   recently reported that, “over the past decade, academic freedom has declined in more than 22 countries representing more than half of the world’s population, four billion people, says the   Academic Freedom Index: Update 2023 (AFI) .” Though the Czech Republic Luxembourg, Sweden, Peru, Portugal and Canada enjoy robust protection of academic freedom, the AFI report says, “autocracies like China, and increasingly authoritarian countries [from] India, to fully-fledged democracies like Britain and the United States” show measurable declines in academic freedom, a cornerstone of freedom of thought and democratic self-governance.

It’s not hard to figure out that the threat to vibrant, free discourse and to educational independence comes primarily from right - wing nationalists. “Since 2016, the year Donald J. Trump was elected president, America’s AFI score has declined from 0.92 to 0.79,” the University World News report found. “This figure puts the United States in the top third of the fifth quintile, below South Africa and above Kenya.”

Anti-democratic, nationalist movements   have   historically   attacked universities as hotbeds of elite and foreign influence, seeking to bend instruction to the will of the state and turn academics into handmaidens of state propaganda. Right - wing pundits who have whined incessantly about the disfavored status of conservative academics (largely because of peer or student pressure) have had precious little to say about state-driven attacks against academic freedom from a   petty autocrat . (Their caterwauling about political correctness on campus is the sort of projection and victimology that seeks to cast oppressors as victims and tyrants as saviors of Western culture.)

DeSantis might get his wish. Parents, students and businesses seeking well-educated workers might decide it is better to decamp from Florida for states that prepare students for the real world, help them function in a diverse society and foster intellectual excellence. Sadly, that will leave Floridians less prosperous and less capable of performing the obligations of informed citizenry. Perhaps that’s the point.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    11 months ago

Full disclosure, I seeded this article solely because Jennifer Rubin and WaPo irritate certain folks. To them I say tough shit.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @1    11 months ago

you're a precious addition to this forum

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    11 months ago

Oh I know ...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @1    11 months ago

[deleted]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2    11 months ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @1.2.1    11 months ago

I'm sorry. I thought he was being a jerk

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.2    11 months ago

As some CSI ass often said, "Never apologize!"

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.4  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1.2.3    11 months ago

trump was on CSI???

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.5  seeder  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @1.2.4    11 months ago

Whenever they need a pompous denier.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.6  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1.2.5    11 months ago

... or to reset the parameters on a polygraph.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.7  Greg Jones  replied to  Hallux @1.2.3    11 months ago

No...that would be NCIS....Gibbs

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.8  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.7    11 months ago

You corrected me, outstanding! I stopped watching when Ziva left the show.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    11 months ago

So. You won't be able to take any history or sociology classes that teach real world history or problems.

What's next? Banning books in the English Department?

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    11 months ago

Why stop there, braille causes unsightly telltale calluses on one's fingers?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     11 months ago
DeSantis declared, “If you want to do things like gender ideology, go to Berkeley” — or presumably, to some other state system that features quality scholarship about topics that make right - wing purveyors of White male supremacy squeamish.

DeSantis doesn't want the kids to learn about Florida's history of slavery, Jim Crow, and associated bigotry that was alive and well into the 1970s. 

In 1957 — in defiance of U.S. Supreme Court school desegregation decisions — the Florida Supreme Court  concluded  that federal law could be superseded by state law and refused to order the University of Florida to admit a Black student to its law school. In 1958, the Florida legislature empowered county boards of education to close public schools during “emergencies” or when federal troops arrived to enforce integration decrees. As late as 1967, Sarasota passed an ordinance requiring segregated beaches. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @3    11 months ago
DeSantis doesn't want the kids to learn about Florida's history of slavery, Jim Crow, lynchings and associated bigotry that was alive and well into the 1970s. 

I would love to see a quote from DeSantis saying that.

I am guessing that he didn't say it any more than the Florida law said "Don't say gay".

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    11 months ago
 Who decides what “distorts”? How can the state prohibit instruction about, say, the consequences of Jim Crow in a U.S. history survey class? Well, that’s up to the regime DeSantis has installed. We now see the full extent of the governor’s authoritarian impulse to control independent sources of information and to eviscerate professional standards that provide the basis for challenging state action and abuse of power. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    11 months ago

I don't see any quote from DeSantis saying anything even remotely close to what has been claimed.

That alone should be embarrassing enough without deflecting.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    11 months ago

speaking of embarrassing...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.3    11 months ago
speaking of embarrassing...

I made no mention of you, nor was my post directed to you.

Perhaps YOU could provide what was asked for--a direct quote from DeSantis saying what has been claimed.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.5  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    11 months ago

So you use a portion of an opinion piece from a far left loon.as your "facts".

Not a good look.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    11 months ago

that's not deflecting. Engage your brain and try some critical thinking. You should be able to infer what DeSantis's position is from reading just that paragraph

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @3.1.5    11 months ago

try using inference and critical thinking

your insults are so cuuuutttteeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.8  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.7    11 months ago

Doesn't take critical thinking to debunk a far left loon opinion piece.

And I never insulted you.

Get over yourself.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @3.1.8    11 months ago

you're so cute when you're angry

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.10  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.9    11 months ago

[deleted]

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1.11  seeder  Hallux  replied to  bugsy @3.1.10    11 months ago

I'll have you know that Trout is jober as a sludge.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.6    11 months ago

I asked for a quote after some silly claim was made about what he said.

you did not provide what was asked.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.6    11 months ago

my brains asks "why would anyone lie about what he said, or did he really say what was claimed?"

I think we can all tell he didn't say what was claimed.

I am surprised you went to such great lengths to deflect.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.14  Jack_TX  replied to  bugsy @3.1.5    11 months ago
an opinion piece from a far left loon

I didn't know who she was, but good grief she's a lunatic.

She's one of those people who is so far gone she can't see sane from where she's standing.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
3.2  afrayedknot  replied to  Kavika @3    11 months ago

“DeSantis doesn't want the kids to learn…”

Enough said. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @3.2    11 months ago
“DeSantis doesn't want the kids to learn…” Enough said.

Oh, I don't know about that.

Perhaps an influx of facts would be helpful.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.1    11 months ago

"Facts" of and by themselves are disinterested; DeSantis is not, he is intentionally pandering to a demographic he needs to win.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @3.2.2    11 months ago

Making stupid, false claims like "DeSantis doesn't want the kids to learn" hardly constitute a fact and does absolutely nothing to bolster any argument against what he is doing. It just makes people look ill-informed or like they are outright lying.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.4  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.3    11 months ago

My comment was based entirely on your usage of the word.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @3.2.4    11 months ago

Do you think I will fall for lies about what DeSantis has said or done?

I will not, which is why I specifically have asked for quotes for some of the more bizarre claims about him. Claims which no ne can seem to back up.

Try THOSE facts!

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2.6  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.5    11 months ago

You should know when you ask leftists for facts, you either get silence or some ambiguous comment that has nothing to do with what you ask for facts about.

Today is no different.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.7  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.5    11 months ago
Try THOSE facts!

Sir, I must object, my screen is in Braille and all caps really hurt my fingertips, however, kudos for not using a bold font.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @3.2.6    11 months ago
Today is no different.

You are correct.

The whole premise of claiming people said something they never did and then running away or deflecting when called out on it is really old.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @3.2.7    11 months ago
Sir, I must object, my screen is in Braille and all caps really hurt my fingertips, however, kudos for not using a bold font.

R.7932b97a5aa8a9b0fb941324660a8917?rik=QryQWf5ybmEY2g&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.10  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @3.2.7    11 months ago
kudos for not using a bold font

that ignorant asshole got banned, multiple times...

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.11  seeder  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @3.2.10    11 months ago

One can be banned multiple times? I must up my game!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.2.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @3.2.10    11 months ago

Is this off topic and of no value, or trolling, or Skirting the CoC?

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.13  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.12    11 months ago

You appear to be the expert lately. Do digress.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.2.14  bugsy  replied to  afrayedknot @3.2    11 months ago
DeSantis doesn't want the kids to learn…”

Even if this were true, (it's not), It will be a loooooooong time before Florida kids catch up with blue city/state kids when it comes to unintelligence.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    11 months ago

This is all about the white Christian nationalist agenda, which DeSantis wants to advance. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @4    11 months ago

[deleted]

George
Junior Expert
4.1.1  George  replied to  bugsy @4.1    11 months ago
Removed for context

Or the rich should pay more so i don't have to pay my fair share.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    11 months ago

Many of us succeeded just fine without coursework titled like “gay studies” or “reparations 101” so I think Florida will do just fine.    But keep pushing the narrative Goebbelites

Meanwhile Florida’s population is bursting at the seams while more “enlightened” states are looking for someone to turn out the lights.

Boom, boom ...... out go the lights!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @5    11 months ago

omg

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1    11 months ago

[deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.1    11 months ago
Removed for context

But I took you off JUST THIS ONE TIME so I can reply to you.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @5.1.2    11 months ago

Actually, no. He's off permanent ignore and in double secret probation

Now...no more fun and games. Let's be nice to Hallux and stay on topic, boys

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.4  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.3    11 months ago
Let's be nice to Hallux

Pshaw! It tickles when they try to be mean and anyhoot I traded in FOX's anal gazing for Al Jazeera's navel gazing on my cable.

George
Junior Expert
5.2  George  replied to  Sparty On @5    11 months ago

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  George @5.2    11 months ago

Doh!

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2.2  bugsy  replied to  George @5.2    11 months ago

What we are seeing here is a MAJOR fear of a DeSantis presidency.

Someone who has similar ideas as Trump, has a successful governorship where he won by 20 percent his second term and is decades younger than Trump.

The man hasn't even proclaimed his candidacy yet..

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  George @5.2    11 months ago

not according to Newsweek

Florida ranks 34

34. Florida

- Education index: 95.11
- Less than high school: 4.8%
- 9th to 12th grade, no diploma: 7.0%
- High school graduate or equivalent: 28.6%
- Some college, no degree: 19.9%
- Associate's degree: 9.8%
- Bachelor's degree: 18.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.0%

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2.4  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.3    11 months ago

Got anything more recent than 2021?

And from a non far left resource?

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.2.5  seeder  Hallux  replied to  bugsy @5.2.4    11 months ago

USnews and Newsweek swim in the same channel.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.3  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @5    11 months ago
Meanwhile Florida’s population is bursting at the seams

There are a lot of job openings for Shabbos goys to "turn out the lights". Hours are good and you can get a free B'rit.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @5.3    11 months ago

You sound well informed.    Go for it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     11 months ago

Actions speak louder than words. Florida outlawed the teaching of CRT and in 2022 DeSantis signed the ''Stop Woke Act'' which the courts have ruled against and most recently proposed banning funding for Black Studies at the state's colleges. 

And from the article:

This week, he signed a bill banning state spending on diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in public universities. The Post reported : “These programs often assist colleges in increasing student and faculty diversity, which can apply to race and ethnicity, as well as sexual orientation, religion and socioeconomic status.”

In each of those bans, race, slavery, and Jim Crow would have to be discussed to have an exchange of thoughts, ideas and history. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1  bugsy  replied to  Kavika @6    11 months ago

Nothing is stopping these subjects to be discussed.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @6.1    11 months ago

They can't be discussed in public universities

Worse: “The law also forbids public colleges from offering general education courses — which are part of the required curriculum for all college students — that ‘distort significant historical events,’ teach ‘identity politics’ or are ‘based on theories that systemic racism, sexism, oppression, or privilege are inherent in the institutions of the United States and were created to maintain social, political, or economic inequities.’”

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.1    11 months ago

Yep...they shouldn't be teaching lies and misinformation.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @6.1.2    11 months ago

Slavery, Jim Crow, and discrimination are lies...LOLOLOL  what world are you inhabiting?

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.4  bugsy  replied to  Kavika @6.1.3    11 months ago
Slavery, Jim Crow, and discrimination are lies

Who said that?

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.5  bugsy  replied to  Kavika @6.1.3    11 months ago
Slavery, Jim Crow, and discrimination are lies

Everyone knows they are not lies.

It is well established that most democrats happily participated in each of these.

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.1.6  seeder  Hallux  replied to  bugsy @6.1.5    11 months ago

Most democrats who "happily participated in each of these" are long dead.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Kavika   replied to  Hallux @6.1.6    11 months ago

It is also well known that the parties switched positions in the 1960s. 

George
Junior Expert
6.1.8  George  replied to  Kavika @6.1.7    11 months ago

That’s what all the racist say, but when challenged to name 5 who changed parties they can’t. Byrd, Clinton, Wallace Biden are all still democrats.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Kavika   replied to  George @6.1.8    11 months ago
That’s what all the racist say, but when challenged to name 5 who changed parties they can’t. Byrd, Clinton, Wallace Biden are all still democrats.

My comment was that the parties switched positions, with no mention of any specific member of either party. Perhaps if I said the ideology changed it would help you understand what happened at that time. 

In 1964, Democratic President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act into law. In the 1964 election, Republican candidate Barry Goldwater publicly opposed the new law, arguing that it expanded the power of the federal government to a dangerous level.

It was this argument that led to a final, decisive switch. Black voters, who had historically been loyal to the Republican Party because of the 1866 Civil Rights Act, had already been switching to the Democratic Party.

However, upon hearing Goldwater’s argument against the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the majority of Black voters left the Republican Party in favor of the Democrats. They saw the Democratic Party as advocates for equality and justice.

You'll find today that the majority of minority groups lean and vote Democrat.

It seems quite difficult for Republicans/conservatives to explain why the majority of minorities vote Democrat except to fall back on the old trope of ''it's the free stuff''....

Today the Democrat party is known as the liberal party and the Republicans are known as the conservative party and huge switch from their positions prior to 1960.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.1    11 months ago
They can't be discussed in public universities

Of course that is totally false.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.10    11 months ago

Of course it is but ..... gotta push the narrative.

Push it!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.11    11 months ago

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.12    11 months ago

Push it real good!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.13    11 months ago

looks like some liberals like to tell stories fed to them by weasels in the media.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.14    11 months ago

Classic propaganda tactic.

Tell a lie enough times it becomes the truth.

For mindless lemmings that is.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.15    11 months ago

I know!

some claim the stupidest things imaginable and then get offended when it is pointed out.

And why are so many so gullible?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.16    11 months ago

[deleted]

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.1.18  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.16    11 months ago
And why are so many so gullible?

That comes with partisanship and you are far from being immune.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
6.1.19  afrayedknot  replied to  Hallux @6.1.18    11 months ago

“…far from being immune.”

…light years…

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @6.1.18    11 months ago

point out what you think I am gullible about.

support your claim.

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.21  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.20    11 months ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @6.1.21    11 months ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.23  devangelical  replied to  afrayedknot @6.1.19    11 months ago

... next universe to the right.

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.1.24  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.22    11 months ago
Stump a Liberal"!!!

One of the easiest things to do!!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.25  devangelical  replied to  bugsy @6.1.24    11 months ago

we're still waiting for that demonstration...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7  Drinker of the Wry    11 months ago

Make students ignorant?

US students are already ignorant in comparison to many other countries in math, science and reading,

As our workers are higher paid than those in most of the countries out scoring us, our workers are increasingly less competitive.

We have an increasing teacher shortage.

So why not demand our teachers teach more outside of math, science and history?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7    11 months ago

Why not indeed!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
8  Jack_TX    11 months ago

Lookie here, a wee culture war post to excite leftyland into thinking the sky is falling.

Hallux
PhD Principal
8.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Jack_TX @8    11 months ago

I could quote some here from the right claiming that it has fallen.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @8.1    11 months ago

One thing that’s falling for sure.   Test scores.

Hooray liberal union teachers!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    11 months ago

They’re going full “nut bag” in Florida, crafting solutions in search of problems.

“The law also forbids public colleges from offering general education courses — which are part of the required curriculum for all college students — that ‘distort significant historical events,’ teach ‘identity politics’ or are ‘based on theories that systemic racism, sexism, oppression, or privilege are inherent in the institutions of the United States and were created to maintain social, political, or economic inequities.’”

Institutions like the 3/5 compromise? Like slavery? Like Jim Crow? Like Alien & Sedition Act? Like Dred Scott? Like segregation? Like Chinese Exclusion? Like Japanese internment camps? Like a century and a half of male-only suffrage? Like housing discrimination? I mean SHIT you can go on and on. WTF are going to teach in these fantasy courses?

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1  devangelical  replied to  Tacos! @9    11 months ago
They’re going full “nut bag” in Florida, crafting solutions in search of problems.

that's easier for them than solving the real problems.

RU4Real
Freshman Silent
10  RU4Real    11 months ago

Have a question for some on this thread:

It seems the argument for the republican party has always been anti-big government, i.e. a government that is overly controlling, over-reaching, telling people how to live their personal lives, pushing some "religious" belief onto the masses.  Yet, DeSantis and others are doing just that, yet some here have no problem with it.

My question is, why in this instance do you see no problem with what is obviously an over-reaching person with governing power telling the people of FL what to do, what they can learn, what they can't learn, read, take in school?

I mean, is it that you are the exact same type of person as DeSantis?  Have his same f'd up thinking, even if he is "pandering" to the racist dumbasses in Florida?  And how long before he starts believing his own hype, if he hasn't already?

devangelical
Professor Principal
10.1  devangelical  replied to  RU4Real @10    11 months ago

republicans proclaiming one thing while doing the exact opposite is normal for them.