╌>

Elon Musk says he's hired a new CEO for Twitter and will reduce his own role

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  11 months ago  •  14 comments

By:   David Ingram

Elon Musk says he's hired a new CEO for Twitter and will reduce his own role
Twitter owner Elon Musk said Thursday he has hired a new CEO to run the social media platform.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Twitter owner Elon Musk said Thursday he has hired a new CEO to run the social media platform.

Musk made the announcement in a tweet but did not immediately name the new executive. He also said he would reduce his own day-to-day involvement with the site, serving as executive chair and as Twitter's chief technology officer with oversight of product changes.

Musk appeared to offer one small hint about the next CEO, saying that "she" would be starting in about 6 weeks.

Investors in some of Musk's other companies including Tesla have expressed concern for months that the tech billionaire was too distracted by Twitter and was short-changing his other responsibilities.

Tesla's share price spiked about 2% immediately after the tweet.

Musk bought Twitter in October for $44 billion after a monthslong fight with its prior management over the price and health of the company.

He has made sweeping changes in the six-plus months since then, laying off the vast majority of Twitter's employees, reinstating the accounts of suspended users, including former President Donald Trump, and loosening the rules of when Twitter allows potentially objectionable material.

Under Musk, Twitter also eliminated its program of verifying accounts of notable public figures, instead reserving blue-and-white checkmarks for people who've subscribed to its premium service.

It's not clear whether the new CEO will continue to seek major changes, but she will be precedent-shattering in at least one respect: Twitter has never had a female CEO since its founding in 2006.

Musk will now likely have more time for his other companies. He is the CEO of the automaker Tesla and of SpaceX, the engineering and rocket company that last month launched the largest rocket ever built as part of a plan to eventually send people to Mars.

Even other tech investors have questioned the wisdom of Musk spending so much time on a social media product given his other duties.

"Can you think of a prominent person who's currently wasting his talents in software when he could be working on manufacturing and heavy industries?" investor Paul Graham dryly asked Musk on Twitter last month.

Musk is the world's second-wealthiest person, with a net worth of $168 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1  Trout Giggles    11 months ago

Couldn't cut it, could he?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    11 months ago

Probably loaded up his plate a little much with all of his other stuff going on .

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1    11 months ago

A lot much!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1    11 months ago

He needs to go back to the drawing board at Space X

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    11 months ago

yeah that "super rocket" sure was a bust.........................I'm sure he wasn't pleased

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.3    11 months ago

I was out fishing when it was launched. I just happened to see a breaking news about it and that it had damaged cars...what I didn't know was that it blew up. I'm just glad no one was hurt

bccrane
Freshman Silent
1.2  bccrane  replied to  Trout Giggles @1    11 months ago

Wasn't this just a follow through of what he polled the users of Twitter about?  A promise kept.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  bccrane @1.2    11 months ago

At least someone keeps his promises

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    11 months ago

I'm available.

Hallux
Masters Principal
2.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    11 months ago

WSJ turn you down?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @2.1    11 months ago

They refer to me as The Editorial Board.

Hallux
Masters Principal
2.1.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.1    11 months ago

Ah, so you wrote the article condemning the GoP's idiocy concerning the Biden 'gang'.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @2.1.2    11 months ago
the Biden 'gang'.

Oh yes, the Biden Gang!   Right now Joe must feel like Big Julie from Guys & Dolls:

"Well, I used to be bad when I was a kid, but ever since then I've gone straight, as has been proved by my record: Thirty-three arrests and no convictions!"

(Guys & Dolls)

evilone
Professor Guide
3  evilone    11 months ago

Looks like Linda Yaccarino is stepping down from her current job and may be chosen as the new CEO of Twitter. Several articles are awash with rumors that Yaccarino is in talks with Musk for the job and she really wants it.

If she gets the job it will likely piss off both the far left and far right which is just fine by me.