╌>

Rep. Rashida Tlaib to host event marking the ‘catastrophe’ of Israel’s founding

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  last year  •  41 comments

Rep. Rashida Tlaib to host event marking the ‘catastrophe’ of Israel’s founding

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Far-left “Squad” member   Rep. Rashida Tlaib   (D-Mich.) will host an event with anti-Israel groups at the Capitol Building on Wednesday that decries the founding of the Jewish State as a “catastrophe.” 

The event titled “Nakba 75 & the Palestinian People” uses the Arabic term for the events surrounding the founding of Israel – Nakba – which means “catastrophe.”

“May 15th marks 75 years since the beginning of the Nakba, which means ‘catastrophe,'”   reads a description of the event , which will be held at the Capitol Visitor Center. 

“Seventy-five years ago, Zionist militias and the new Israeli military violently expelled approximately three-quarters of all Palestinians from their homes and homeland in what became the state of Israel.”

The organizers of the event also say they hope to educate members of Congress and their staff on the “ongoing Nakba to which Israel continues to subject Palestinians.” 

One of the groups behind the event, Jewish Voice for Peace, is described by the   Anti-Defamation League   as a “radical anti-Israel activist group that advocates for a complete economic, cultural and academic boycott of the state of Israel” and that “celebrates figures who have been convicted of engaging in terrorism.” 

Earlier this month, Tlaib criticized House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) for characterizing Israel as being “conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that we are all equal,” by invoking the term “Nakba.” 

“Speaker McCarthy wants to rewrite history but the apartheid state of Israel was born out of violence and the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians,” Tlaib   wrote in a May 1 tweet . ”75 years later, the Nakba continues to this day.”

Last year, Tlaib   authored a resolution , backed by other members of the “Squad,” demanding that the US “commemorate the Nakba through official recognition and remembrance.”

he said the word also refers to “an ongoing process of Israel’s expropriation of Palestinian land and its dispossession of the Palestinian people that continues to this day through the establishment and expansion of approximately 300 illegal settlements and outposts in the occupied Palestinian West Bank in which approximately 674,000 Israelis reside as of 2020.” 

Tlaib, the daughter of Palestinian immigrants, said in a tweet at the time that “We must acknowledge that the humanity of Palestinians is being denied when folks refuse to acknowledge the war crimes and human rights violations in apartheid Israel.”

Tlaib’s office did not respond to The Post’s request for comment.

Liora Rez, the executive director of nonprofit group StopAntisemitism, told The Post on Monday that she wishes Tlaib “would spend as much time helping Michigan’s 12th District as she spends demonizing the world’s only Jewish state.”

“She continues to mischaracterize Israel’s history and policies, making her a natural ally for organizations like IMEU, one of the top propagators of false anti-Israel rhetoric on social media,” Rez said in a statement, referencing the Institute for Middle East Understanding – one of the group’s backing the event. 

“The real ‘catastrophe’ is Rep. Tlaib and her allies’ refusal to engage with Zionism in good faith. Fact checks haven’t stopped them because they hold ideology above accuracy; as long as they ignore the reality of Israel’s past, they can’t participate in honest conversations about its present and future,” Rez added.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    last year

Another day, another moment of extremism from the Left wing in Congress. 

If she goes ahead and acts on her hatred, she's going to be  transformed into a white supremacist  when she's no longer politically useful. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    last year

She’s also dumber than a box of rocks.    Check this out, right about the 7 minute mark.

Lol ..... cellisus?    

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @1.1    last year

To Sean and Sparty,

For a change I fully agree with both of you.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2  Snuffy    last year

This is old news.  McCarthy has already blocked her event.

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy canceled an upcoming event at the U.S. Capitol hosted by Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., that would have decried Israel as a "catastrophe" for Palestinians and the world.

Tlaib had sought to reserve space at the Capitol Visitor Center to mark the "Nakba," a Palestinian term for the 1948 founding of Israel that translates to "catastrophe." McCarthy decried her plans as "antisemitic" and used his seniority to reserve the event space for himself. The event will instead commemorate Israel's 75th anniversary, which will land on May 14.

"This event at the U.S. Capitol is canceled," McCarthy tweeted late Tuesday. "Instead, I will host a bipartisan discussion to honor the 75th anniversary of the U.S.-Israel relationship."

Antisemitism should be snuffed out anywhere it starts but especially in Washington.  

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @2    last year
Antisemitism should be snuffed out anywhere it starts but especially in Washington.  

Yes, it should. They should censor Tlaib and also remove the Jewish Space Laser Queen from her influential committees too.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @2.1    last year
the Jewish Space Laser Queen

Remind me which lunatic that is.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.2  evilone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.1    last year

Large Marge Green

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  evilone @2.1.2    last year
Large Marge Green

Ah.  Yes.

Given the candidates we've seen recently, the Georgia public schools have a lot to answer for.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Snuffy @2    last year

Have you noticed that antisemitism from the left is allowed to pass but when it comes from the right people set their hair on fire?

evilone
Professor Guide
2.2.1  evilone  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2    last year
Have you noticed that antisemitism from the left is allowed to pass but when it comes from the right people set their hair on fire?

I've noticed partisans from both sides doing some serious mental gymnastics to excuse anti-semitism (bigotry, racism, misogyny and plain assholish behavior)  and at the same time going all hair on fire when they spot on the other. If one is against it then they should be against it whenever it comes up. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.2    last year

I sure as hell haven't allowed it to pass - I've had lots to say about antisemitism from BOTH sides, and I've made lots of comments over the years about the "Squad" and its members.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.3  Snuffy  replied to  Snuffy @2    last year

Tlaib managed to host the event anyway.  

She moved the event to a Senate hearing room and later declared, "Let the headlines read ‘McCarthy tries to erase Palestine but fails.’" 

She should be censored for her antisemitic statements but I doubt if that will happen.  This is a shame.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    last year

I dont like the idea of this, but as long as we have white nationalists in the conservative political spectrum I'm not going to get too worked about about a congressperson who is anti Israel. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3.1  MonsterMash  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

Just can't bring yourself to criticize a fellow democrat can you John.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  MonsterMash @3.1    last year

I said I dont like it. She has a right to be anti-Israel just like right wingers have a right to be pro Putin. 

If you want to criticize her, criticize her. I really dont care. 

What is your evidence that she is anti-semitic? In 2019 the head of the Anti-Defamation League said she is not anti-semitic. Opposing Israel's government is not in itself anti-semitism.

ADL strongly  disagrees  with the congresswoman's comments. However, they were not anti-Semitic. And it is disturbing to see how some elected leaders have taken those comments out of context and demonized her for political gain. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.1    last year
"Opposing Israel's government is not in itself anti-semitism."

Maybe so but telling lies about Israel and its history and demonizing it IS antisemitism.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.2    last year

Many supporters of Israel demand the nation and the government and the jewish people be considered the same exact things. This perspective would make it impossible to criticize the Israeli government without being considered an anti-semite. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    last year

You obviously missed or ignored my point.  Sure, criticize Netanyahu, criticize the Israeli government - even I'm critical of them these days, but telling lies about Israel, calling it an apartheid state and denying its existence is antisemitism.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.4    last year

According to its constitution Israel is a Jewish state.  Imagine that in the US constitution The United States was officially and legally a Christian state. Criticism of the government could be construed as criticism of Christianity and by extension an attack on Christians. 

I think it has been necessary for Israel to be a Jewish state because of centuries of persecution of the Jews and prejudice against Jews. But it is not fair to call every criticism, or even verbal attack on Israel , anti-semitism. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.5    last year

The International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance created a definition of antisemitism that has been adopted by a massive number of entities, including many American States, cities, official government bodies and other organizations:  

More than 1,000 global entities adopted IHRA definition of antisemitism

In the United States, 18 new states in 2022 adopted it via legislation or executive actions, bringing the number of states adopting the definition to 30. 

(LINK) ->

The definition is as follows:

“Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities.”

This follows the definition:

"To guide IHRA in its work, the following examples may serve as illustrations:
Manifestations might include the targeting of the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity. However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic."

"Among others, these are considered examples of antisemitism by the IHRA:"

"Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, e.g., by claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor."

"Applying double standards by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation."

"Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis."

LINK ->

I stand by my comment, and either you missed my point, or....worse.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.4    last year

It was not missed or ignored. It was simply plain old fashioned deflection.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.6    last year
"To guide IHRA in its work, the following examples may serve as illustrations: Manifestations might include the targeting of the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity. However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic."

Bingo. It is BECAUSE Jewish identity is so completely intertwined with the political state of Israel , that it is impossible , in the eyes of many, to criticize Israel without being perceived as attacking the jewish people.  If someone says the palestinians are being mistreated by Israel there is a very good chance they will be accused of being anti-semitic. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.6    last year
I stand by my comment, and either you missed my point, or....worse.

Be careful Buzz. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.9    last year

READ THIS AGAIN

"You obviously missed or ignored my point.  Sure, criticize Netanyahu, criticize the Israeli government - even I'm critical of them these days, but telling lies about Israel, calling it an apartheid state and denying its existence is antisemitism."

I NEVER said criticism is antisemitism.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

bout a congressperson who is anti Israel. 

The same way David Duke is. They just don't like Israel, isn't that the line?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    last year

Free speech is awesome. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.1  MonsterMash  replied to  MrFrost @4    last year
Free speech is awesome

Yah it is as long as it's a democrat practicing it, all others need to shut up and sit down.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    last year

She’s a nasty bigoted thing .... 

Just nasty!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @5    last year

Tlaib is a bigoted anti Semite who is a embarrassment to the House, the Democratic Party, and the nation. The same goes for her good bud Omar. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1    last year

Oh yeah and totally unapologetic about it.

The people who voted her in should be ashamed of themselves.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.1    last year

That video hardly makes Talib look bad.  Mark  Meadows is the one who felt she called him a racist and he tried to get all indignant about it. 

In 2012, when Meadows was running for Congress, he told a rally that he wanted to go to Congress so he could send Barack Obama back to Africa. 

In 2012, Meadows was asked at an event, “If the President is not a natural-born citizen, then he does not control the military. And so the question I have, if you’re sent to Congress, will you pursue some kind of an investigation to find out whether or not this guy is really a citizen and entitled to (that) authority?”
“Yes,” Meadows responded. “If we do our job from a grassroots standpoint, we won’t have to worry about it. We’ll send (Obama) back home to Kenya or wherever it is.”

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    last year
That video hardly makes Talib look bad.

opinions do vary.    Greatly in this case.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.3    last year

The centerpiece of that video is a scene from a committee hearing where Mark Meadows complained that she had called him a racist. In 2012 Meadows joked with a campaign crowd that he would go to Washington and send Obama back to Africa. You figure it out. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    last year

Well, even Talib said she didn’t mean to call him racist so she disagrees with you.   Talib on the other hand has been very vocal about eliminating Israel.

All of it.

I’ll let you “try” to make the connection on that one.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    last year

She must have ignored that 20% of Israeli citizens are Arabs, and that Arabs serve with the IDF, are mayors and officials in many towns in Israel, and an Arab justice sits on Israel's Supreme Court.  She must have forgotten that offers were made to the Palestinians of 95% and then 97% of their demands and they walked away from the table.  Some "apartheid", eh?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    last year

As usual, the woman doesn't know what she is talking about, but it plays real well with many of her constituents.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    last year

Sadly her constituents are largely white suburbanites.     Arabic suburban whites.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7  Texan1211    last year

This woman should be removed from office next election but I suspect she will win easily in her district.

She is an Anti-Semitic person and should be censured.

No wonder she is so popular among Democrats, though.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    last year

Jewish lawmakers have often been improperly accused of a double standard of loyalty, but how does anyone feel about a lawmaker who celebrated her election to the US Congress by wrapping herself in a Palestinian flag"? 

Muslim woman elected to US Congress wraps in 'Palestinian' flag

Rashida Tlaib marks election victory with PLO flag, not Stars and Stripes.

(LINK) ->

1bef2810-e8f8-43cc-bfcb-6ed467529b8e

Rashida-Tlaib-Khaled-Beydoun-3-Twitter-11062018.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    last year

Many on the left cheered for her that day, and many more still cheer her on when she is making anti-Semitic remarks.

I think it is a slap in the face of America to drape yourself in a flag other than the American one when you win a seat in our Congress.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1    last year
Many on the left cheered for her that day, and many more still cheer her on when she is making anti-Semitic remarks.

It's sad to see that antisemitism is increasing in the USA, and in Canada as well.

.I think it is a slap in the face of America to drape yourself in a flag other than the American one when you win a seat in our Congress.

I thought so as well, which is why I pointed it out.