╌>

Madrid Open takes heat over ball crew outfits among other issues

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  22 comments

By:   Ryan Gaydos (Fox News)

Madrid Open takes heat over ball crew outfits among other issues
The Madrid Open was the source of some controversy in the tennis world last week. The event took place a few weeks before the start of the French Open.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Madrid Open is one of the precursors to the French Open later this month, and while most of the tennis world is celebrating Carlos Alcaraz and Aryna Sabalenka's victories, there were a myriad of controversies along the way.

First, Victoria Azarenka pointed out the differences in the cakes the champions of the tournament received. Alcaraz - who is from Spain - received the giant two-tiered dessert after his win over Jan-Lennard Struff. Sabalenka received a single-tier cake with a few candles and fanfare.

Azarenka agreed with one Twitter user who wrote, "the difference in cake size is astounding."

However, it was Alcaraz's birthday on Friday

Additionally, Azarenka and her doubles partner Beatriz Haddad Maia defeated Coco Gauff and Jessica Pegula in the final, but the winners were barred from addressing the crowd after the match. According to USA Today, finalists in the men's singles and doubles and the women's singles were given the opportunity to speak to the crowd.

Carlos Alcaraz is presented with a birthday cake after the Men's Singles semi-final match against Borna Coric on Day 12 of the Mutua Madrid Open at La Caja Magica on May 5, 2023 in Madrid.(Julian Finney/Getty Images)

"Wasn't given the chance to speak after the final today:( But thank you to the fans for supporting us and women's tennis this week! Thanks @JLPegula for always keeping it fun on the court and hitting unreal clutch shots hahahaha Lastly, big congratulations Vika and Bia," Gauff tweeted Sunday.

"[A]lso thanks to my team and Jess's team of course! Also for the ball kids, tournament staff, and everyone else who works hard behind the scenes. Twitter format doesn't allow me to say everything I would've said during the speech if we had one. But just wanted to say I'm thankful."

Pegula added her own opinion to the mix.

Jessica Pegula, left, and Coco Gauff, right, celebrate against Victoria Azarenka and Beatriz Haddad Maia during the Woman's Doubles Final match on Day 14 of the Mutua Madrid Open at La Caja Magica on May 7, 2023 in Madrid.(Julian Finney/Getty Images)

"I don't know what century everyone was living in when they made that decision," she said Tuesday, via Tennis Majors. "To be honest, it kind of spoke for itself. We were upset when it happened, especially being told during the trophy ceremony we weren't going to be allowed to speak. We were kind of like, Well, I guess this just kind of proves a point."

Lastly, the other controversy stemmed from those who were not playing for the trophies.

During the men's matches, the all-female crew whose job it was to provide the balls to the competitors wore short skirts and crop tops that showed their midriff. After complaints, the ball crew changed their outfits.

Pilar Calvino, a spokesperson for the Spanish Association for Women in Professional Sport, told The Independent the organizers were urged to change the policy around the dress code.

Ball girls seen on court during the Men's Singles semi-final match between Carlos Alcaraz and Borna Coric on Day 12 of the Mutua Madrid Open at La Caja Magica on May 5, 2023 in Madrid.(Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

"It's a way of feminizing girls with respect to boys who don't dress in the same way," Calvino said. "Ultimately, it's a form of sexist violence that is so widespread that people don't even notice it."

Madrid Open organizers have not addressed the outcry.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

Point # 1   The contest was held in Spain and they have every right to give one of their own a two layer cake.

Point #  I LOVE the female ball girl uniforms.

Point #  The Madrid Open organizers only need to respond to the woke outrage with their middle finger.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year
Point #  The Madrid Open organizers only need to respond to the woke outrage with their middle finger.

EVERYBODY needs to respond to the woke "outrage" in this fashion.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1    last year

Let us continue what Bud Light customers have started.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    last year

Saw this this morning and although it has to do with a trans, it goes along with the woke bullshit.

Way to go World Athletics.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.2    last year
Way to go World Athletics.

This trans group seems to be people with serious psychological problems.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.3    last year

I think that's an understatement.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.4    last year

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.5    last year

There are thousands of videos like this out there yet these idiots allow it to continue to happen.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.7  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.6    last year

I still have to ask WHERE ARE THE FEMINISTS?

I thought they cared about women. Don't tell me they are simply leftist tools!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.7    last year
Don't tell me they are simply leftist tools!

Sadly that's the way it looks.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.8    last year

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.9    last year

And yet we are supposed to believe it's all peaceful.  You know, kind of like the race riots supported by the very same people.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.11  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.10    last year

How could we forget:

th?id=OIP.3WFsMbdWeZY9qsOdR5cnywHaD4&pid=Api&P=0

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.12  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.11    last year

And we can't forget about the now VP trying to get people to "chip in" for the bail money for the rioters.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.13  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.12    last year

We used to have somebody here that said if Kamala didn't set up the fund herself, it was thus BS.

Then that person got too big for her britches.

The truth is that Kamala wanted to get violent rioters out of jail. That is the kind of a decision we can expect from a president Kamala.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.14  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.13    last year

Remember there are videos out there of other Democrats calling for violence.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.15  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.14    last year

How do such people get elected?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.16  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.15    last year

They rely on the lowest common denominator.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.17  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.1.16    last year

One has to go to college to achieve it.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

I'll leave how I respond to your anti-woke outrage with something far larger than a finger.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.2    last year

Leave it up in Canada

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Hallux @1.2    last year
anti-woke

You misspelled anti-stupidity.