╌>

California reparations panel approves payments of up to $1.2 million to every Black resident

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  last year  •  100 comments

California reparations panel approves payments of up to $1.2 million to every Black resident
The California Reparations Task Force formally recommended that the state offer payments of up to $1.2 million to every qualifying Black resident.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The California Reparations Task Force formally recommended that the state offer payments of up to $1.2 million to every qualifying Black resident.

The task force held a public meeting in   Oakland, California , on Saturday and voted on the final set of recommendations to be sent to the state's legislators. The nine-member panel called on the state to offer its Black residents a formal apology in addition to the payments.

"Reparations are not only morally justifiable, but they have the potential to address long-standing racial disparities and inequalities," Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif., said after attending the meeting.

The panel's recommendation breaks payments down by types of historical discrimination. For instance, Black residents affected by redlining by banks would receive $3,366 for each year they lived in California from the early 1930s to the late 1970s, amounting to up to $148,099.

Similarly, Black residents could receive roughly $2,352 in compensation for over-policing and mass incarceration for each year they lived in California between 1970 and 2020. Those payments could amount to $115,260.

In total, from these and other payments included in the plan, a Black Californian who is 71 years old and has lived in California his entire life could receive up to $1.2 million, according to analysis from the New York Times.

he panel's Saturday vote included only recommendations for the state legislature and does not have any legal weight.

Saturday's meeting included opposition from some Black residents   demanding larger payments.   An activist identified as Rev. Tony Pierce was one of the more outspoken people at the gathering, making reference to the famous "40 acres and a mule" promise to former slaves when he took the podium.

"You know that the numbers should be equivocal to what an acre was back then. We were given 40, OK? We were given 40 acres. You know what that number is. You keep trying to talk about now, yet you research back to slavery and you say nothing about slavery, nothing," said Pierce. "So, the equivocal number from the 1860s for 40 acres to today is $200 million for each and every African American."

Most people who spoke at Saturday's meeting spoke in support of reparations. Despite such agreement, however, sparks flew throughout the chaotic, emotionally charged gathering as arguments broke out. Indeed, many attendees spoke out of turn and interrupted each other, leading Kamilah Moore, the task force chair, to call for security to remove people multiple times.

The draft recommendation noted that California entered the Union as a free state in 1850, but said that it did not pass laws at the time to guarantee freedom. The recommendation pointed out that for a decade after emancipation, California continued to allow the enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act, which called for the capture and return of runaway slaves.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    last year

So people who never owned slaves, in a state that never allowed slaves will just give  people who were never slaves up to 800 billion dollars, or the entire state budget for the next couple years.

It's beyond satire. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    last year
So people who never owned slaves, in a state that never allowed slaves will just give  people who were never slaves up to 800 billion dollars

Liberal stupidity at it's finest.

George
Junior Expert
1.2  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    last year

And in 2 years they will be broke again and claiming the rich stole their money.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  George @1.2    last year

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @1.2.1    last year

[deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  George @1.2    last year

Correction, that would be the rich "white people" stole their money!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.2    last year

That is a blatantly racist comment. Reported. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.4    last year

No it isn’t but Lol ....  SOP for you.

George
Junior Expert
1.2.6  George  replied to  devangelical @1.2.1    last year

[deleted

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @1.2.5    last year

How would you characterize your comment? 

You rather blatantly implied that black people, in general, are drug addicts, and violent, and drunks. 

Three strikes and you're out. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.7    last year

Not blatantly racist .... 

You rather blatantly implied that black people, in general, are drug addicts, and violent, and drunks. 

No I didn’t.    That’s the way you took it.

George
Junior Expert
1.2.9  George  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.7    last year

What is more telling is that is where you immediately went. I have never been stupid enough to abuse drugs so i have no idea what or Crank costs, and a shank? well that depends on the quality of knife? A Custom Marifione anywhere from 2 to 6 thousand, which still means you get a couple hundred of them, and 1 plus million cans of Malt liquor.  so iw ould characterize his post as mostly accurate, you can buy a lot of the above for 1.2 million.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.10  JohnRussell  replied to  George @1.2.9    last year

What the fuck are you babbling about. 

He said that BLACK people could buy a lot of drugs (crank), weapons (shank), and liquor(Schlitz) with their reparations money. 

We can KNOW he was talking about black people specifically because they are the only ones getting the "1.2 million".

George
Junior Expert
1.2.11  George  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.10    last year

But he didn't say that, and are mixed race excluded? you made an assumption based on prejudice.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.10    last year

You need to “lighten up Francis.”

- Stripes

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.13  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.10    last year

If that is what you believe he said, then Dave Chapelle, to you, is also racist..

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.2.14  Thomas  replied to  George @1.2    last year
And in 2 years they will be broke again and claiming the rich stole their money.

Do you ever stop and think before posting comments that are blatantly racist?

George
Junior Expert
1.2.15  George  replied to  Thomas @1.2.14    last year

Tells me a lot about you, look up what happens to lottery winners and people who win jackpots and come back and try again. Your comment reeks of racism. My comment spoke of all people assuming they would be the same as all demographics who get windfalls.

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.2.16  Thomas  replied to  George @1.2.15    last year

Your comments remind me of of the Pink Floyd song "Pigs" Specifically the line that goes" keep on diggin'"

Perhaps you should educate yourself.  My comment was not racist in nature, intent or feeling. Only in some twisted bizarre imaginings can it be construed as racist.  

Your comment, on the other hand,  was about a certain demographic of people who, according to your line of reasoning, would spend the entirety of however much the reparations were and have nothing left after a period of two years. Since this demographic is, by definition, is African American, your comment, no matter how you try to justify it, was racist.

Why don't you want to own what you said instead of trying to turn reality on its head? It's easy and you might want to try it sometime. 

George
Junior Expert
1.2.17  George  replied to  Thomas @1.2.16    last year

Wow, another racist comment, keep digging, my comment is on observation over time of people non-race based, but you assume it’s specific to African Americans. How many are mixed race? I included those while you single out a specific group, that is what people who make racist comments/assumptions  do.

Believe it or not, statistics show 70% of lottery winners end up broke and a third go on to declare bankruptcy, according to the National Endowment for Financial Education.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2.18  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thomas @1.2.16    last year
Perhaps you should educate yourself. 

Exactly, listen to more Pink Floyd.

Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast from Atom Heart Mother taught me much.

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.2.19  Thomas  replied to  George @1.2.17    last year

Your original comment had no specifics and was in relation to African Americans because that is the context in which the comment was made. 

If you had stated, "...statistics show 70% of lottery winners end up broke" in your initial comment or your reply to my comment, then you wouldn't have had to sully your hands typing stupid sentences about my comment. As it stands, your initial comment was racist, your doubling down on me for calling you out on it, well, let's just say that calls your veracity into question. 

Think about what you are posting before you hit the "Post Your Comment " button. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.20  Vic Eldred  replied to  devangelical @1.2.1    last year

What happened to your comment?

Don't tell me that you taunted & trolled again and got away with it

George
Junior Expert
1.2.21  George  replied to  Thomas @1.2.19    last year

Your reaction is racist, my comment is fact based. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.22  JohnRussell  replied to  George @1.2.21    last year

Your comment was idiotic. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.23  JohnRussell  replied to  Thomas @1.2.19    last year

They could at least take ownership of their racism. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.24  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.23    last year
They could at least take ownership of their racism. 

Now you went a bridge too far. I think you just crossed that line. As a famous radical once said "we have to have a way of calling it out."  She was referring to chacterizing comments, but you just went beyond it.

George
Junior Expert
1.2.25  George  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.22    last year

This comment is idiotic, 

George
Junior Expert
1.2.26  George  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.23    last year

Not a registered democrat, when will you take ownership John?

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.2.27  Thomas  replied to  George @1.2.21    last year
Your reaction is racist, my comment is fact based. 

Let's triple down on the insanity./s

Once again:

1. Article posted by Sean regarding the supposed payment of reparations to Black/African American people. (Black/African American is the subject of the Article)
  2. Comment by Sean: 

" So people who never owned slaves, in a state that never allowed slaves will just give people who were never slaves up to 800 billion dollars, or the entire state budget for the next couple years .

It's beyond satire . "

3. Your Comment 1.2  in reply: " And in 2 years they will be broke again and claiming the rich stole their money ."

4. My comment 1.2.14 " Do you ever stop and think before posting comments that are blatantly racist? "

You did not qualify your statement initially but rather said that my calling you out for saying "they" (black/African Americans) " will be broke again and claiming the rich stole their money"  as a racist comment was, in fact, the racist comment. Trying to argue this way is a logical fallacy known as a non-sequitur because your statements do not follow logically from one to the other. My statement regarding your statement does follow logically from one to the other as a point of fact. So whoopty-do. 

Words have meanings, no matter how some of the people around here try to stretch and bend their meanings. Apparently, to some people the mere mention of race, the historical underpinnings of racism and/or the systemic nature of racial attitudes and norms is, according to them, racist. This is neither factual nor helpful as we attempt to cleanse society of this moral failing. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2.28  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.23    last year

We are still waiting for Democrats and leftists to admit theirs'.

The only ones reading anything racist into the comment are you.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.29  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Thomas @1.2.27    last year
(Black/African American is the subject of the Article)

No it isn't. It's paying reparations. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.2.30  Right Down the Center  replied to  George @1.2.15    last year

345438485_1587700911714226_5561126908762011838_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=rDHuuWm4DToAX9-bAhi&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.xx&oh=00_AfBKBem8prg81H8ngc92qIMcd8FEpSxahvuWSlZSWsQHRA&oe=6461AF41

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.2.31  Thomas  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.29    last year

jrSmiley_123_smiley_image.gif

To whom are those reparations going?

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.2.32  Thomas  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.2.30    last year

You really shouldn't be so hard on yourself 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.2.33  Right Down the Center  replied to  Thomas @1.2.32    last year
You really shouldn't be so hard on yourself 

18eb20.jpg

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.2.34  Thomas  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.2.33    last year

Try thinking. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.2.35  Right Down the Center  replied to  Thomas @1.2.34    last year

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.2.36  Thomas  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.2.35    last year

Likewise.

I sometimes wonder if those I am speaking with engage their brains at any point, or if verbal diarrhea is just the natural byproduct of doing the same. Either way, they get shit for results. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.2.37  Right Down the Center  replied to  Thomas @1.2.36    last year

[ deleted ]

6cz1os.jpg

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    last year
It's beyond satire. 

It's The California Reparations Task Force. The sole purpose for their existence was to assuage white liberal guilt.

They had one job, and they've done it.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    last year

This lunacy is spreading to other states.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.5  cjcold  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    last year

Fuck reparations! That is just stupid! 

My ancestors came to the colonies as hated Irish and German immigrants.

My ancestors were also white slaves at several points in time.

About time for everybody to just get over the grudges.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.5.1  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @1.5    last year

Democrats can't let it go--ever.

Of COURSE it's an idiotic idea, but we are talking California Democrats here, so what should we have expected?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.5.2  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @1.5.1    last year

This independent centrist tends to think rather than react.

Sorry that you promote an all right or all left world view.

Most intelligent folk tend to be thoughtful in the gray areas.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.5.3  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @1.5.2    last year
This independent centrist

Strange title to claim when you never vote for Republicans.

Care to share any other fantasies?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.5.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  cjcold @1.5    last year
My ancestors were also white slaves at several points in time.

Careful with that.  There is some that will shout you down claiming that's incorrect (almost impossible).  Despite what facts show us.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.5.5  Sparty On  replied to  cjcold @1.5    last year
My ancestors came to the colonies as hated Irish and German immigrants. My ancestors were also white slaves at several points in time.

Same here and we are completely over it.    But perhaps in a few hundred more years my ancestors will be looking for some free lunch like our African American brothers and sisters today.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Sean Treacy    last year

Not to mention the state is already in a budget deficit and defaulted on an 18 billion dollar pandemic loan from the federal government.  

They need a competent governor, ASAP. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    last year

This is beyond stupid

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    last year

Lol ..... Cali coo-coo

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    last year

The black activists have the unhappy reality of both being right and having to face the fact that their wishes will not come true. Monetary reparations are just too divisive in our country and will only make race relations worse. 

But as an "academic" exercise, I think its fine. They are not wrong. 

George
Junior Expert
5.1  George  replied to  JohnRussell @5    last year
But as an "academic" exercise, I think its fine.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............................Of course, tell an entire group of people that they deserve 1.2 million, and then follow it with you aren't getting shit, What could possibly go wrong.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5    last year
Monetary reparations are just too divisive in our country and will only make race relations worse. 

They are unconstitutional and democrats know that. It's all about that steady flow of black votes.

George
Junior Expert
5.2.1  George  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2    last year

Why do democrats think African Americans are so stupid that they will keep falling for their promises without ever having to deliver on them? they can't blame republicans for failing to deliver on this, republicans have no power to block anything in California.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  George @5.2.1    last year
Why do democrats think African Americans are so stupid that they will keep falling for their promises without ever having to deliver on them?

If somebody told you that all of your problems in life stemmed from discrimination, wouldn't it be easy to buy that?  It is a very persuasive argument. I didn't screw up or miss my chance, it was discrimination. And all the while white Americans have let it go. Thus it has become a political norm.

they can't blame republicans for failing to deliver on this, republicans have no power to block anything in California.

You are right. It is now in the hands of state legislators in Sacramento.

Have they boxed themselves in?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2.2    last year
If somebody told you that all of your problems in life stemmed from discrimination, wouldn't it be easy to buy that?  It is a very persuasive argument.

Is black generational wealth in the United States 1/10th of white wealth because blacks are lazy do-nothings? 

Or did institutionalized racism for hundreds of years make it impossible for blacks, on the whole, to succeed?

You know nothing about this, but it never stops you from blowharding. 

George
Junior Expert
5.2.4  George  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.3    last year
Is black generational wealth in the United States 1/10th of white wealth because blacks are lazy do-nothings? 

No, not to any greater degree than any other race.

Or did institutionalized racism for hundreds of years make it impossible for blacks, on the whole, to succeed?

Yes, the democrat party set them back for a generation or 2, but at what point do they overcome? Could it be that democrats in their desire to assuage the guilt have hampered more than helped them?

That's funny coming from you. project much?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.3    last year

It would be for many different reasons.

Many blacks are not in the category of only having only 1/10th of what whites have. Do you know that?

Absolutely not!  African Americans have been able to achieve whatever they set their minds to.

That's why we have you.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.6  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2    last year
It's all about that steady flow of black votes.

The times they are a-changin', my friend. In the 2020 election, Biden won 80-90% of the Black vote. Similar happened with Newsom's recall. Today, in 2023, Biden is hovering around 50%. Newsom's polling with Blacks and Latinos has also seen a downward shift.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.6    last year

So I heard from Donna Brazile this past Sunday. She sounded concerned.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6  Texan1211    last year

How idiotic are these folks?

Thank God I don't have to live there!!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7  Jasper2529    last year

Well, lookee here! It seems that Newsom's 2023 reparations crew should be going after Native Americans for their reparations and not white people!

[Native American] Tribes in northwest California practiced slavery long before the arrival of Europeans. [ 86]   There were never black slaves owned by Europeans , and many free men of African ancestry joined the  California Gold Rush  (1848–1855). Some returned east with enough gold to purchase their relatives. [87]   The California Constitution of 1849 outlawed any form of slavery in the state, and later the  Compromise of 1850  allowed California to be admitted into the Union, undivided, as a  free state .  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    last year
Well, lookee here! It seems that Newsom's 2023 reparations crew should be going after Native Americans for their reparations and not white people!

Oh, now you've gone and done it.

Expect to be crucified for that.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    last year
Oh, now you've gone and done it.
Expect to be crucified for that.

Heh heh! All I did was a quick search to verify when CA became a state if it condoned slavery and ... voilà! If I get crucified for producing facts, so be it!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @7.1.1    last year
voilà! If I get crucified for producing facts, so be it!

We often are!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    last year
The panel's recommendation breaks payments down by types of historical discrimination. For instance, Black residents affected by redlining by banks would receive $3,366 for each year they lived in California from the early 1930s to the late 1970s, amounting to up to $148,099.

Similarly, Black residents could receive roughly $2,352 in compensation for over-policing and mass incarceration for each year they lived in California between 1970 and 2020. Those payments could amount to $115,260.

In total, from these and other payments included in the plan, a Black Californian who is 71 years old and has lived in California his entire life could receive up to $1.2 million, according to analysis from the New York Times.

Payments for slavery dont seem to be the main focus here. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @7.2    last year

They still have to prove being a victim of those practices which is next to impossible.

The money would come from the taxpayers which includes all races and economic levels of society.

The state is already broke, and they simply don't deserve this free money

George
Junior Expert
7.2.2  George  replied to  JohnRussell @7.2    last year
Payments for slavery dont seem to be the main focus here.

Sigh, 148 + 115 = 263 thousand, what do you think the other million is for? Do you want to post another bullshit comment on how slavery isn't the main focus?

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.2.3  bugsy  replied to  George @7.2.2    last year

The funny part is if this lunacy goes through, those that get the payments will have to pay a large percentage in taxes, state and local.

Then the crying will really start.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8  Texan1211    last year

I almost feel sorry for taxpayers in Cailfornia, but, hey, the idiots get what they voted for.

Sad that they are so willing to part with taxpayer money to placate some folks.

I would refuse to live in a state with such callous disregard for actual taxpayers.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
9  Just Jim NC TttH    last year

Note the "up to" 1.2 million. It's kind of like when the car companies quote gas mileage. "Up to 25 MPG City, 35 highway. Your mileage may very". So it could be $100 or anything above zero and below 1.2Million..................small print. Still bullshit. TOTAL bullshit

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @9    last year

If that one reparations loon got his way, it would be $200M per person. SMDH!!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
10  Snuffy    last year
"You know that the numbers should be equivocal to what an acre was back then. We were given 40, OK? We were given 40 acres. You know what that number is. You keep trying to talk about now, yet you research back to slavery and you say nothing about slavery, nothing," said Pierce. "So, the equivocal number from the 1860s for 40 acres to today is $200 million for each and every African American."

Have no clue how they came up with this number however.  The cost of land in 1960 was $3 to $5 per acre so 40 acres would be the equivalent of $200 cost.  Take in inflation from 1960 to today would raise that number to $7,273.15.

But it's all meaningless as it will never be paid.  I think the progressives missed it here, had they just continued to work until the election not much would have come of it and after the election it could have gone silent in hopes of disappearing.  They know they cannot afford to pay that kind of money.  But now that they have come out with a formula and stated a dollar value it's moving to other cities and will become a bigger issue in the 24 election cycle.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
10.1  Snuffy  replied to  Snuffy @10    last year
But it's all meaningless as it will never be paid.

And Newsom has begun the spin away from cash payments.  Wonder how that will work for his re-election or future plans with the activists who proclaimed the $ 1.2 million was insufficient and demanded $200 million per person...

“Dealing with legacy is about much more than cash payments,” Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat who is White, told CNN affiliate KCRA in a statement.

“Many of the recommendations put forward by the Task Force are critical action items we’ve already been hard at work addressing: breaking down barriers to vote, bolstering resources to address hate, enacting sweeping law enforcement and justice reforms to build trust and safety, strengthening economic mobility – all while investing billions to root out disparities and improve equity in housing, education, healthcare, and well beyond,” Newsom said.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11  Texan1211    last year

I wonder if California will have the cojones to tax the reparation money if it is ever actually distributed (doubtful at best)?

Or will the state sue to collect back welfare/Medicaid payments?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.1  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @11    last year
I wonder if California will have the cojones to tax the reparation money

If they don’t, you can bet the feds will.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @11.1    last year
If they don’t, you can bet the feds will.

If the Democrats have a say in it, certainly.

They never have had enough of our money.

George
Junior Expert
11.1.2  George  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.1    last year

We can sum it up simply.

Democrats want republicans to pay for their sins. If you are a registered democrat you should have to forfeit your belongings to pay for your parties sins.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
11.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tacos! @11.1    last year

Probably as unearned income.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
12  Drinker of the Wry    last year

Why has California left out Native Americans, Asian Americans and Hispanics from reparations?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12.1  Tacos!  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12    last year

Probably because they were never discriminated against in any way. /s

Or their lobbyists suck.

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.2  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12    last year

Actually, thousands of NAs were enslaved in California. Starting in 1850  laws were passed that made it possible even though California entered into the Union as a free state.

Native America Californians were sold in auctions there from about 1850 to 1870—thanks  to a state law nefariously called the Act for the Government and Protection of Indians.

In fact, there was a NA slave market in downtown LA where the courthouse stands today from 1850 until 1870.

In reality, the slavery of NAs started with those righteous and pious Spanish missionaries in the 1600s and 1700s and the Gold Rush of 1840/50 saw the genocide of thousands of NAs and also the forced labor of thousands more.

There are articles entitled the ''Great California Genocide''. It's the killing of Indians by white during the gold rush, ugly read but worth it if you really want to understand California's history. The story of ''Ishi, The Last of His People'' is another documented piece of California history. 

Between 1846 and 1873, it is estimated that non-Natives killed between 9,492 and 16,094 California Natives . Hundreds to thousands were additionally starved or worked to death. Acts of enslavement, kidnapping, rape, child separation and displacement were widespread.

Are you aware that the largest debt that the state of CA had in that time period was for bounty owed to whites for the killing, scalping, and or taking the complete heads of Indians? 

Oh, and there were black slaves in California.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @12.2    last year
Between 1846 and 1873, it is estimated that non-Natives killed between 9,492 and 16,094 California Natives . Hundreds to thousands were additionally starved or worked to death. Acts of enslavement, kidnapping, rape, child separation and displacement were widespread.

Thats exactly the kind of history conservatives dont want taught to their children. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
12.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @12.2.1    last year

Why is California including those Native American descendants in this reparations bill?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.3  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12    last year
Why has California left out Native Americans, Asian Americans and Hispanics from reparations?

Wrong color?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
12.3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @12.3    last year

California maybe is color blind. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12.3.1    last year
California maybe is color blind. 

So, no reparations?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
12.3.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @12.3.2    last year

No repetitions for those folks.

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.3.4  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12.3.3    last year

Reparations are not our thing. Ours is to get the US government, both state and feds to honor their agreements. To this end, we have developed our own legal experts and now each time the state or feds try one of their end runs we are prepared and certainly know the legal system. Ask ''The Terminator'' he felt the sting and it cost the state $36 million. Or the feds when they lost the Corbel case to the cost of $3.6 billion.

But besides the constant legal battles on numerous fronts, some of the tribes feel that supporting the locals that they live in is important. I was fortunate enough to be present when the San Manual Band of Mission Indians gifted Loma Linda Medical Center $25 million for their children's hospital this was after a $3 million gift to their cancer center. The band felt it necessary to do this since many years ago Loma Linda helped many of the tribe's elders. 

BTW, Loma Linda is one of the finest medical centers in the world and was the first to have Proton Radiation in the early to mid 1990s. Loma Linda and the Band has established a great partnership.

So trying to compare NAs with the black experience is nonsense, each group has its own set of claims and or legit grievances. Some are equal to both groups and some are not. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
12.3.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @12.3.4    last year

Good points Kavika.  

Reparations are not our thing. Ours is to get the US government, both state and feds to honor their agreements. To this end, we have developed our own legal experts and now each time the state or feds try one of their end runs we are prepared and certainly know the legal system. Ask ''The Terminator'' he felt the sting and it cost the state $36 million. Or the feds when they lost the Corbel case to the cost of $3.6 billion.

NA know well the duplicity and power of our government.

I know about Loma Linda from my web research.  I had appendiceal stage 4 cancer and there is only one treatment tat had the potential to save my life.  LL is one of the few medicals centers that I was considering if the much closer Johns Hopkins hadn't accepted my case.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
13  Tacos!    last year
California Reparations Panel Approves Payments Of Up To $1.2 Million To Every Black Resident

Sigh . . . Leave it to Fox to lie needlessly in the headline. The task force does not have the authority to “approve” anything. They made recommendations - gigantic difference.

Also, it’s not “every black resident.” The task force suggested eligibility requirements that would not include every black resident.

And while it’s possible, under the recommendations to get to $1.2 million, that would be a very small number of pretty old people.

Excessive drama like this in the reporting makes it harder to have an honest conversation about the issue. The truth is stupid enough on its own. It doesn’t need to be embellished. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
14  TᵢG    last year

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
15  Tacos!    last year

I look as white as Bruce Willis (and just as handsome). But according to my ancestry.com DNA scan, 3% of my ancestry comes from Africa. I’ve lived in California my whole life, so I’ll be calculating the money this state “owes me.” Looking forward to Pay Day!

I bet I get more money than they give to Magic Johnson. I’ve lived here longer than he has.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
15.2  MonsterMash  replied to  Tacos! @15    last year
I look as white as Bruce Willis, But according to my ancestry.com DNA scan, 3% of my ancestry comes from Africa.

Your ancestors were probably white from South Africa, the African capital of white supremacy. No repetitions for you jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
15.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  MonsterMash @15.2    last year

Actually, the DNA scan says Mali.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
16  Greg Jones    last year

On the other hamd....what about reparations for the descendants of the Chinese laborers?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
16.1  Ronin2  replied to  Greg Jones @16    last year

Or descendants of white indentured servants?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Ronin2 @16.1    last year
On the other hamd....what about reparations for the descendants of the Chinese laborers?

Irish, British, Welsh, and Scots, at a minimum, qualify for this slavery reparation.

Anyone related to Ben Franklin? His brother sold him into indentured slavery. File for your reparations!

CB
Professor Principal
17  CB    last year

ART IV/Chapter 17: Final Recommendations of Task Force Regarding Calculations of
Losses to African American Descendants of a Chattel Enslaved Person, or Descendants of a
Free Black Person Living in the United States Prior to the End of the 19th Century, and
Forms of Compensation and Restitution

Legislature make a “down payment” with an immediate disbursement of a meaningful amount of
funds to each member of the eligible class, as discussed below.

B. Model for Calculating the Costs of Harms and Atrocities

As documented throughout Chapters 2 through 13 of this report , the state of California holds at
least partial responsibility for a wide-ranging set of harms and atrocities inflicted upon African
Americans, especially descendants of persons enslaved in the United States.

The task of calculating the cost of tears and blood and human rights violations is a challenge.
While no amount can encompass the full scope of damage done by the institution of slavery and
ongoing discrimination, the Task Force has consulted with a group of experts who have
identified five key categories of ongoing harm for which there may be sufficient data and
methods to estimate monetary losses experienced by African Americans in California:

1. Health Harms

2. Mass Incarceration and Over-Policing of African Americans

3. Housing Discrimination

4. Unjust Property Takings by Eminent Domain

5. Devaluation of African American Businesses

Based on available data, the Task Force and its economic experts have calculated preliminary
estimates of monetary losses to African Americans across the first three categories:

Health Disparities, African American Mass Incarceration and Over-Policing, and Housing
Discrimination.

Further, the Task Force and its experts have identified a method for calculating
losses for

Unjust Property Takings by Eminent Domain and Devaluation of African American
Businesses,

though the data necessary to allow the Task Force’s experts to conduct that
calculation in time for the publication of this report was not readily available from the respective
state agencies. The Task Force recommends that when the Legislature engages in its eventual
determination, it releases to the public the data underpinning this calculation to allow scholars
and experts to have access to this information and to better understand the process by which the
costs were calculated.

The list of harms and atrocities included in this chapter’s calculations is not exhaustive.

The Task Force and its economic experts focused on these five categories for two main reasons:

t hey reflect areas where there is sufficient historical data to quantify the harm done, and they
represent discriminatory policies directly attributable to the state of California , rather than to
federal, local, or private actors .

These five categories may not reflect all important harms and atrocities inflicted upon African Americans in California,
nor their full quantitative impact. In many instances, there may be harms or atrocities that cannot be quantified because California has
not collected the required data (e.g., due to Proposition 209) or the data is not readily available
(e.g., on occupational-, pay-, and employment discrimination) to make that calculation.

The Task Force anticipates that the Legislature will be able to add additional harms and atrocities to this list ,
using calculation methods similar to the ones outlined below, with access to more data than was available to the Task Force .

Pages 5-6.

NOTE : For a proper breakdown of each "key categories" listed above - head to the linked article.