╌>

Lithium industry develops in California as electric vehicle demand grows | 60 Minutes - CBS News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  last year  •  40 comments

By:   minutes

Lithium industry develops in California as electric vehicle demand grows | 60 Minutes - CBS News
As demand for electric vehicles grows, companies are racing to develop what's being called Lithium Valley in California, with plans to extract the metal to power batteries.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

May 7, 2023 / 7:00 PM / CBS News

Lithium Valley could power EV battery boom California's Lithium Valley could power electric vehicle industry | 60 Minutes13:14

The auto industry is introducing fleets of electric vehicles that will be powered by lithium-ion batteries and while the U.S. has massive quantities of lithium locked underground, companies have been slow to invest in mining and extraction.

That's about to change. Lithium operations powered by clean energy are being developed in California, near the Salton Sea. Just like California's 1849 Gold Rush, companies are racing to strike it rich in a region some are now calling Lithium Valley.

Eric Spomer is president and CEO of EnergySource Minerals, a company focused on recovering lithium from the region's geothermal brine.

"When you hear estimates of how big this resource could be, it's usually measured on annual tons produced. And we're confident that this is in excess of 300,000 tons a year," said Spomer. "Right now, that's way more than half of the world supply of lithium."

EnergySource Minerals is steaming ahead with plans to build a lithium facility, which Spomer said could be ready for commercial use by 2025.

Typically, lithium is either extracted from rock mining operations, or recovered from evaporation ponds. The facility from EnergySource Minerals would be the cleanest, most efficient lithium process in the world, Spomer said.

Companies are working to extract lithium in California 60 Minutes

The process being developed by the Salton Sea makes use of the brine already being brought to the surface by geothermal electric plants. Six hundred degree brine rises to the surface from more than a mile beneath the earth. It produces steam, which drives turbines to generate electricity.

In the past, the mineral-rich brine was simply returned to the earth. Now EnergySource plans to break ground on a clean, billion-dollar facility in the next few months to extract lithium from the brine before reinjecting it underground.

Estimates of the amount of lithium in the region are staggering. Spomer told 60 Minutes that the region could recover enough of the metal to support 7.5 million electric vehicles a year, which is half of the total car and truck sales in the U.S.

EnergySource is leading the lithium charge by the Salton Sea, but the company is not alone. Warren Buffett's BHE Renewables runs 10 geothermal energy plants in the region. There's another on the drawing board by an Australian company, Controlled Thermal Resources. Both ventures are part of the lithium rush.

Down the road from EnergySource's site, Controlled Thermal Resources has been fine tuning its process at a test facility. CEO Rod Colwell said based on what they learn, the company plans to build a new plant for recovering lithium. They've been successful at extracting lithium at their test facility.

"We know it works," Colwell said.

The lithium extraction process costs about $4,000 per ton, and currently sells for six times more.

Rod Colwell and Bill Whitaker talk about the lithium extraction process 60 Minutes

But as companies seek to benefit from what California Gov. Gavin Newsom believes could make the area "the Saudi Arabia of lithium," others are asking: Will it work for everyone? The rich lithium resource lies beneath one of the poorest sections of California. The Salton Sea was created when the Colorado River flooded the basin in 1905, but for the past 50 years, the main source of water has been chemical-laden agricultural runoff. For decades, the sea has been evaporating and shrinking. A once-thriving tourist industry has been replaced by environmental decay, toxic dust and economic hardship. Unemployment in the region hovers around 16%.

The lithium industry could provide better jobs and be a force for good in the area, acknowledged environmentalist Frank Ruiz, the local program director for the Audubon Society and a commissioner on the Blue Ribbon Commission on Lithium Extraction in California. Industrialization in the area, he said, has to be reconciled with its wildlife and communities.

"We need to learn how to balance the tables," Ruiz said.

That balance will be important in the coming years as demand for electric vehicles continues.

"Over 50% of our lineup and retails sales will be from battery electric vehicles by the end of the decade," Mark Stewart, head of North American operations for carmaker Stellantis, told Bill Whitaker. Stellantis owns some of America's best-known brands, including Chrysler, Jeep and Ram trucks, and is investing $35 billion in an ambitious transformation to manufacture electric cars and trucks.

"We're reimagining our factories -- on our assembly plants," said Stewart. "They're already rolling our plug-in hybrids — as well as looking to two new battery joint ventures that are in full construction right now."

To that end, Stellantis has committed to purchase lithium from Controlled Thermals Resources for 10 years, even though the lithium will not be commercially available for years. General Motors has also committed to purchasing lithium from the Salton Sea region.

Prices for electric cars are coming down and are projected to be on par with gas vehicles within a few years, driven in part by the tax incentives in the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act. The tax benefits have also been a catalyst for developing domestic lithium, said EnergySource's Spomer. There have been big investments along the lithium-ion battery supply chain, so that soon lithium won't need to sourced, processed, and refined overseas.

"It's a competitive advantage," said Spomer. "It's an opportunity that we can be a leader globally. And why not lead?"

• In:
  • Electric Vehicle
  • California
  • Lithium-Ion Batteries

Thanks for reading CBS NEWS. Create your free account or log in
for more features. Continue Please enter email address to continue Please enter valid email address to continue

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     last year

I watched this on 60 Minutes last night. 

The amount of lithium that they will be producing is unbelievable. Besides making the US the largest producer of lithium there will be additional cost saving by cutting down on the transportation cost currently associated with it. 

Hopefully, it will resuscitate the Imperial Valley which needs jobs and investment.

If done right this is a win-win for the US.

Here is a link with more information on the project and Q&A with a huge investor an buyer of the lithium.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1    last year

I'm all for mass production right here in the USA

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    last year

They stated that they can produce enough lithium for 7.5 million cars per year. 

Oh, hell yes do it right here in the US.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @1    last year

What about waste material these plants allegedly produce? I heard somewhere that it can be fairly toxic, or am I mistaken?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    last year

I know if lithium catches fire you can't put water on it to put it out

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.3  evilone  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    last year
I heard somewhere that it can be fairly toxic, or am I mistaken?

It is highly toxic - Exposure to Lithium causes loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, cause headache, muscle weakness, twitching, blurred vision, loss of coordination, tremors, confusion, seizures and coma. That said there are simple handling procedures like coating the metal in mineral oil, using gloves and tongs. Also it should be kept away from water and stored in a low humidity environment. 

EDIT: It's not the raw lithium it's the processing and recycling processes that have had health ramifications in 3rd world areas. Of course no one concerns themselves with safety & oversite in those places either. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.5  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.1    last year

That is true and many of your appliances have lithium ion batteries, such as cell phones.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.2.6  pat wilson  replied to  evilone @1.2.3    last year

Those side effects sound like most of the pharmaceutical ads you see on tv.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.7  evilone  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.6    last year

It often seems as if there isn't much we use in the modern world that doesn't sound similar... 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.2.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.6    last year

Lithium used to be a psychiatry medicine. I don't know if it still is.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.9  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Bob Nelson @1.2.8    last year

Yes, it is. It is used extensively in treating bi-polar people.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1.2.5    last year

I saw a car fire on the news the other day, I think it was a Prius. The firefighters tried to put it out with water and the damn thing exploded. You would think they would know that. Well, they probably would have if somebody had paid attention in 11th grade chemistry

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1.2.9    last year

My grandma was on it for a while. She wasn't bipolar but her brain chemistry was definitely whacked out

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.2.12  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.6    last year

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    last year

The battery question could go in many directions. Lithium has technical advantages, but is problematic socially and ecologically. So there are lots of races being run.

Lithium recycling, new lithium sources, alternatives to lithium, ... "Breakthrough" headlines every week.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Bob Nelson @2    last year

They are pumping in a lot of money on this bet, Bob.

It's going to be interesting.

Other than autos there is a high demand for lithium in a multitude of consumer producsts. 

The biggest producer of lithium is Australia followed in a distant second by Chile.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @2.1    last year

Electricity storage is a fascinating field, from pumped hydro to melted salt...

Lots of pretty good YouTube channels.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.2  evilone  replied to  Kavika @2.1    last year

Portugal stopped mining because of the environmental damage. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    last year

Could hydrogen cell batteries be a better alternative perhaps?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2    last year

Here is a good article on it. 

Energy storage density

In terms of energy storage density, hydrogen fuel cells generally outperform lithium ion batteries . This gives them a significant advantage when it comes to range. Hydrogen fuel cells are also lighter and more compact than high-load lithium ion batteries.

https://www.petro-online.com/news/measurement-and-testing/14/breaking-news/lithium-ion-batteries-vs-hydrogen-fuel-cells-which-is-better/58898#:~:text=In%20terms%20of%20energy%20storage,high%2Dload%20lithium%20ion%20batteries.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2    last year

There are lots of technologies already operational, with more becoming available every day. The sources in whom I have confidence all say the same thing: for the foreseeable future, there won't be one battery to rule them all. We will use different tech for different use-cases.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3  SteevieGee    last year

The Salton Sea is a fascinating area.  Many of the towns there are ghost towns now.  This will be a huge boost to the economy there.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  SteevieGee @3    last year

Isn’t it going to refill?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1    last year

It could.  A few million years ago it was connected to the Gulf of California but was cut off by the Colorado River delta.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1    last year

I doubt it Bob, the only water it gets now is run off from the farms which has made it very toxic.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  SteevieGee @3    last year

I remember going there in the 1960s and early 70s before he turned to be uninhabitable.

It was a lot of fun than.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    last year

I hate to be a spoil-sport, but...

Are EV sales declining? Electrifying the car market may be getting harder. Here's why

USA Today - LINK -> 

I have heard that people are being advised to NOT park their EV in a garage.

Electric Vehicle Battery Fires Are A Serious Problem

CARBUZZ LINK ->

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    last year

There have been a number of electric battery fires on motorbikes and some areas have banned them. 

On the car side, the sales keep growing. And I agree it is a problem that has to be cured.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6  Bob Nelson    last year

Here's a channel that often gives us battery tech updates. Today's video is about tech that doesn't use lithium at all:

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    last year

The human spirit drives us to find solutions to problems.   The problem in question is energy storage (for obvious reasons).   This video illustrates that brilliant researchers and engineers will continue to improve the cost, duration and applicability of battery technologies.  

This should be a backdrop consideration when speculating on the viability of solar, wind and other weather dependent energy sources.   Better battery technology is the key.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @6.1    last year
The human spirit drives us to find solutions to problems. 

Money, too.  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.1    last year

...or fame, or even the pursuit of power.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  Vic Eldred    last year

Where does this article prove the claim in it's title: "as electric vehicle demand grows??????"

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @8    last year

Since you asked, for your reading pleasure:

• Electric vehicles are gaining popularity and market share. In Q2 2022, EV sales accounted for 5.6% of the total auto market (up from 2.7% in Q2 of 2021).

Before most people could realize the extent of what was happening, China became a world leader in making and buying EVs. And the momentum hasn’t slowed: In just the past two years, the number of EVs sold annually in the country grew from 1.3 million to a whopping 6.8 million , making 2022 the eighth consecutive year in which China was the world’s largest market for EVs. For comparison, the US only sold about 800,000 EVs in 2022. 

Sales of electric cars in the EU broke records in 2022. Which country in Europe is leading the way?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @8.1    last year

I didn't ask for other articles or articles regarding Europe.

I clearly asked where the article that you posted backed up it's claim about the nation's demand for electric cars.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.1    last year

The article I posted assumed that the reader understood the growth of the EV market, which has been in numerous articles and reports. 

The links that I gave you showed it in the major EV markets in the world. If that isn't enough factual information for you there is nothing I nor anyone else can to do help you understand.

evilone
Professor Guide
8.2  evilone  replied to  Vic Eldred @8    last year

Here's one for you...

Counting all EVs..., the Kelley Blue Book team estimates EV sales in Q1 increased by 44.9% year over year and reached 258,882, a record quarter for the U.S. market. With Q1 in the books, the U.S. market is on course for annual EV sales to surpass 1 million for the first time in 2023, as predicted by Cox Automotive  analysts this past December.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  seeder  Kavika     last year

I hope that those links help you out, Vic.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @9    last year

No, you have failed again.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @9.1    last year
No, you have failed again.

Only in your   [removed]   view, Vic. 

Please carry on, if nothing else you're entertaining in your inability to accept facts.