╌>

A harsh verdict on Fox News post-Dominion — even from GOP

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  last year  •  22 comments

By:   Aaron Blake - WaPo

A harsh verdict on Fox News post-Dominion — even from GOP

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

On the eve of agreeing to   pay Dominion Voting Systems $787.5 million   for repeatedly airing false claims about Dominion’s role in a supposedly “stolen” 2020   election , Fox News took out full-page newspaper ads reassuring everyone that people still trusted Fox’s journalism.

“Trusted Now,” the ads said, citing polling, “More Than Ever.”

The way the ads framed the data they relied on was misleading , but regardless, surveys from shortly before and after the settlement paint a decidedly different picture, and it’s much less rosy: Americans do not trust Fox to be truthful and judge Fox pretty harshly for the Dominion episode.

In a new   poll from the Economist and YouGov , Americans say, 51 percent to 21 percent, that Fox hosts said things about the 2020 election that they knew to be untrue. Remarkably, even Fox’s base of Republican-leaning Americans takes   a dim view: Nearly as many Republicans said Fox hosts effectively lied (31 percent) as dispute that assertion (34 percent). The near-even split was similar among supporters of Donald Trump: 30-35.

The poll also shows Fox ranking last for “accurate” coverage of the 2020 election. Only 12 percent overall said Fox’s 2020 coverage was “almost always accurate,” which was less than the percentages for CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC and CBS. And less than half (49 percent) said Fox’s coverage was at least “mostly accurate.” This was again lower than all six broadcast outlets tested, which ranged between 56 percent and 58 percent. (This poll, as it happens, comes from the same organization whose findings Fox touted in its newspaper ads.)

The result aligns with other polling showing that, despite Fox’s claims to high viewer trust, the network actually   ranks toward the bottom   when you ask Americans of all stripes for an up-or-down vote.

Given that, it’s worth asking how much this has to do with Dominion, and whether it’s true that even many Republicans are alienated by Fox’s decision to proactively broadcast the claims against Dominion. A strong majority of Republicans, after all,   falsely believe the 2020 election was stolen . So maybe some are taking issue not with the Dominion claims, but with Fox having said President Biden won the election?

It’s possible that played a part. But other polling reinforces the idea that many Republicans know how ridiculous the Dominion and voting-machine claims were and are judging Fox accordingly.

Another YouGov poll, from just after the settlement, asked this in a slightly different way: Did Fox knowingly broadcast false claims   about Dominion specifically ? And the split   was similar , with 31 percent of Republicans saying it did, compared to 39 percent saying it didn’t. Overall, the split was 46-27 against Fox.

A Quinnipiac University poll from a month before also showed   this split . When the situation was described to them — including the fact that   Rupert Murdoch acknowledged Fox had aired false claims   — 41 percent of Republicans agreed that Fox should be held accountable, while 47 percent said it shouldn’t. Americans overall said that Fox should be held accountable, 65 percent to 26 percent. (This question didn’t get into   whether Fox knew better.)

It seems clear that Americans by sizable margins know that what Fox did was bad, and even 3 or 4 in 10 Republicans agree that Fox erred significantly, with only slightly more disagreeing with that premise. It’s possible that the claims went too far even for many election-truthers in the party, given how utterly bizarre some of them were (think:   Hugo Chávez, Cuba and China ) and how Fox has seemingly tacitly acknowledged fault by agreeing to such a massive settlement.

Whether this has long-term impact is another matter.

What the Dominion lawsuit reinforced is how much Fox’s journalism is   dictated by its business model . It caters extensively to conservative-leaning Americans and Trump supporters — in this case, to a fault — which seemingly comes at a cost with the broader public. That may be why Fox ranked toward the bottom in trust, even before this situation blew up.

Fox’s true base isn’t all Republicans; it’s mostly a subset within the conservative movement — a subset that differs somewhat from all Republicans. For instance, in a recent poll of daily Fox News viewers, 52 percent said that Tucker Carlson’s dismissal was a bad thing, but just   21 percent of less-frequent Fox viewers said the same . And the Quinnipiac poll showed that Trump supporters were less likely than supporters of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R)   to call for accountability   for Fox.

That gets at how the most loyal Fox viewers are probably the ones most interested in the kind of conspiratorial coverage that Carlson provided — and that Fox served up after the 2020 election. They’re the viewers Fox took care to tell what they wanted to hear. And while perhaps some of them have come to believe that involved Fox lying to them, it’s just as likely most of them never will and/or might not really even consider it. (The post-settlement YouGov poll showed just 29 percent of Republicans said they had heard “a lot” about the situation.)

But for a network so focused on appealing to Trump supporters who were quite willing to believe the election was stolen despite any real evidence, having even that group offer such a split verdict on your handling of those claims is a pretty stunning indictment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    last year

In the meantime FOX has moved onto its tabloid arena of culture war nonsense with a vengeance and fans of such idiocies trumpet their nonsense in high pitched seeds and shrieks.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Hallux @1    last year

The poll has 116 pages of data, which should be more than enough for any and all cherry pickers.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.1  GregTx  replied to  Hallux @1.1    last year

Here, let me help you,..

SOOEY!!!  

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  GregTx @1.1.1    last year

Thanks Greg, your comments are always so 'insightful'. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.3  GregTx  replied to  Hallux @1.1.2    last year

You're welcome. Insightful? Every discussion posted in news or politics becomes "team sports". You're not looking for insightful, you're looking for an argument. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Snuffy  replied to  GregTx @1.1.3    last year

[deleted.] It's the two sides shouting their slogans at each other. Very few discussions happen as too many [deleted] want to only be in their echo chamber or hurling snark/insults at the other side.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.5  devangelical  replied to  GregTx @1.1.3    last year

... can't address the topic, and can't defend the network, so attack the author.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.6  GregTx  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    last year

I wouldn't defend the network. If you mean the seeder, I'm not attacking,  merely pointing out the irony of the veiled insult.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.7  GregTx  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.4    last year

But true...

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.8  seeder  Hallux  replied to  GregTx @1.1.3    last year
you're looking for an argument.

Actually I'm shopping for a wedding present online, and watching a really good interview with Carly Fiorina on Bloomberg.

That said, I'm mostly here for the chuckles and you are definitely not keeping up by providing any.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  GregTx @1.1.6    last year

It is funny. They get mad when people defend Fox, then they get mad when people don't defend Fox.

Just no pleasing people I suppose!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  GregTx @1.1.6    last year

Hallux didn't insult you.  YOU insulted Hallux at 1.1.1.

dev is correct, as always

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.11  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1.1.8    last year

some people don't like it when others start to work their side of the street. any pro-FOX stories concerning journalistic integrity would definitely be considered satire now.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.5    last year
can't address the topic, and can't defend the network, so attack the author.

Can't address his post, so make shit up.........

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.13  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.12    last year

can't address the topic, so attack the opposing participants...

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.1.14  GregTx  replied to  Hallux @1.1.8    last year

Chuckles? I thought you were looking for insight.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.13    last year

wow... you felt attacked!!

I almost feel sorry...

.almost.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @1    last year

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    last year

it's been 2 weeks of silence from my 89 year old mother about her favorite network and the now absent boyish looking oracle of truth, justice, and patriotism. which is cool, since I always feel a twinge of a son's guilt when I death wish her heroes and try to tactfully tiptoe around how I feel about generally anyone that would be so ignorant as to believe virtually anything broadcast by FOX. it'll be nice to finally transition to raw sarcasm smothered with plenty of I told you so gravy.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @1.3    last year

jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.3.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @1.3    last year

Having just upgraded all my tech hardware to jet stream speeds, I've dumped FOX and its 'news' about whatever pizza parlor is lately garnishing their fares with tots for Al Jazeera and news of the actual world.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.3  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1.3.2    last year

wedge issue whining seems to be a lot safer and less expensive for FOX, at least until their future legal entanglements seem less crowded...